Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Casting Larger Numbers to String

"RokuKC" wrote:
Having StrI(int, 10) format as signed is by design, and I don't anticipate that changing.

I am guessing you said "by design" to mean that the behavior comes from implementation where stri(intVal) has implied radix=10 from a general definition like
function stri(intVal as Integer, radix = 10 as Integer) as String

Bur RokuKC, why not improve on that design, if it bene-fits? Like so, change the default to -10:
function stri(intVal as Integer, radix = -10 as Integer) as String
And thus, calling stri with 2nd argument positive radix will give us unsigned representation and 10 will act as every other number in the 2..36 interval. Where calling w/o 2nd argument will give the signed decimal representation.

I personally think that additional options or APIs should be provided for more formatting control.
E.g. printf-like control over padding, width, alignment, precision; and separator/decimal formatting including locale-specific support.

That... that's "double trouble" 8-) . It both requires significant work and is mostly about double type (or up-conversions thereof).
Where unsigned int string representation is needed often in daily programming, so let's not leave it to a universal sprintf
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

You can also use request.GetId().ToStr()
My Channels: 2D API Framework Presentation: https://owner.roku.com/add/2M9LCVC
Updated: 11-11-2015 - Completed Keyboard interface
The Joel Channel ( Final Beta )
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"NewManLiving" wrote:
You can also use request.GetId().ToStr()
`request.GetId().ToStr()` is virtually equivalent to `stri(request.GetId())` (the latter being a bit faster) in that it returns signed representation of the ints.

To refresh, two different things were discussed in the thread - first was about generating reliable/non-colliding AA keys from Integers - and that is covered by stri(), regardless if signed-int or unsigned-other-than-10-radix.

The second one was about externalizing unsigned Integer to a decimal string (say you have timestamp in milliseconds to send to a server) - for that there is no good/efficient solution in BrS.
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

I always appreciate your posts EnTerr and also the many examples of your brilliant brain that is a benefit to all of us. I am waiting patiently for you to write a JIT Brightscript bytecode compiler. And while I completely agree with all you have recapped for us, the original question can be adequately addressed with a simple roInteger function
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"NewManLiving" wrote:
I always appreciate your posts EnTerr and also the many examples of your brilliant brain that is a benefit to all of us. I am waiting patiently for you to write a JIT Brightscript bytecode compiler. ...

Ha-haa, that's entertaining thought. I probably would have done that - write a dialect of Python or Lua or JavaScript that compiled to bytecode and then ran as everything else B/S on Roku - not likely to happen though, since if anything, RokuCo are heading towards hiding the VM and not exposing it (i don't know if you remember once upon a time there was a `da` console command to see the p-code).
0 Kudos
NewManLiving
Visitor

No I did not know about that command. And yes it is an entertaining thought
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Mind you, B/S is not a bad language. Quirky - yes, maybe like Perl but nothing as bad as PHP. The real problems lay with the libraries/components - behavior and documentation. Getting another language or VM won't help with that.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuKC" wrote:
Having StrI(int, 10) format as signed is by design, and I don't anticipate that changing.

RokuKC -
can you however put a formal request to make Stri() able to output unsigned decimals?
Or is it that me failing to convince you personally, such request is dead in the water?

"EnTerr" wrote:
I am guessing you said "by design" to mean that the behavior comes from implementation where stri(intVal) has implied radix=10 from a general definition like
function stri(intVal as Integer, radix = 10 as Integer) as String

Bur RokuKC, why not improve on that design, if it bene-fits? Like so, change the default to -10:
function stri(intVal as Integer, radix = -10 as Integer) as String
And thus, calling stri with 2nd argument positive radix will give us unsigned representation and 10 will act as every other number in the 2..36 interval. Where calling w/o 2nd argument will give the signed decimal representation.
0 Kudos
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"EnTerr" wrote:
"RokuKC" wrote:

RokuKC -
can you however put a formal request to make Stri() able to output unsigned decimals?
Or is it that me failing to convince you personally, such request is dead in the water?

I can see a case for extending StrI to accept -10 as a radix value, as a backdoor way to get an unsigned print format, but it seems like a very low priority request to me, that I don't personally feel like arguing for it.
You're free to continue trying to convince me or others, but as I said, I don't anticipate that we would change the currently defined behavior.

Slightly as an aside, you could use the long integer support (firmware 7.0 or later) as a helper, if you wanted.

> i = -1: print (i and &hFFFFFFFF&).ToStr()
0 Kudos
adamkaz
Channel Surfer

I'd be wary about relying on functions introduced in version 7.0. Users with RokuTVs are still on 6.2 - Roku has not responded to my post about when they will be migrated to 7.0.
0 Kudos