Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Can Roku generate a JPG or PNG file?

This is still on the agenda, I deem that it most likely will happen, but I don't know when. 2014 is an extremely busy year.

- Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Thanks, appreciate the update!
0 Kudos
ramakanth
Visitor

Hi Joel,
is there any update on this requirement, i am in a similar situation where we have multiple icons to be rendered on gridscreen, all have same background with only change in the text.
it would be quite helpful if there is any progress on this.

Thanks,
Ramakanth.G
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

We generally cannot talk about new features before they are released and documented.

- Joel
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Bump!
Any update on this one, Roku*?

Probably best to add a roBitmap (ifDraw2D formally and better) method saveAsPNG(filePath as String) as Boolean

PNG because of faster compression and preserving transparency. And btw does not have to bother compressing, since main intent is this being loadable by ro- and sg-components. I believe Roku already uses libpng, so implementing this would be 1 man-day's work. Set compression to 0, just RGBA (no grayscale, no indexed, no palettes), no interlacing, no troubles - it's about avoiding temptation of feature creep and "just do it". Optional parameters can always be added some other year.

A code even be written from scratch with sole purpose of quickly writing uncompressed PNG (see http://stackoverflow.com/a/8113783/226086 for format discussion, it's about avoiding filtering and generating 'deflate' in store-mode) - and somebody i remember did it years ago in B/S - but it was way, way too slow to use.
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:
Bump!
Any update on this one, Roku*?

Probably best to add a roBitmap (ifDraw2D formally and better) method saveAsPNG(filePath as String) as Boolean

(PNG because of faster compression and preserving transparency. And btw the first iteration can be an oddball, no problema - e.g. no compression, as long as it can be loaded by components)

Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuKC" wrote:
You can use ifDraw2D getPng for this:
https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ifDraw2D#ifDraw2D-GetPng(xasInteger,yasInteger,widthasIntege...

Sweet!!!
Just documented but seems valid since fw 7.0 ("retroactively").

This can liven up both ro-channels and sg-channels. E.g. player app can prep posters while browsing media on USB/NAS drive
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:
"RokuKC" wrote:
You can use ifDraw2D getPng for this:
https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ifDraw2D#ifDraw2D-GetPng(xasInteger,yasInteger,widthasIntege...

Sweet!!!
Just documented but seems valid since fw 7.0 ("retroactively").

This can liven up both ro-channels and sg-channels. E.g. player app can prep posters while browsing media on USB/NAS drive

It works great. Now, if we can just compress it so I could send it somewhere ( err..conveniently). 😄
Add a file type to AsyncPostFromFile? ( it already works, it just sends it uncompressed)
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"squirreltown" wrote:
It works great. Now, if we can just compress it so I could send it somewhere ( err..conveniently). 😄
you are getting greedy :). but yeah, sure... in another four years, perhaps.

Add a file type to AsyncPostFromFile? ( it already works, it just sends it uncompressed)
no, not there. Compression would have to be optional param to getPng(). I recon, very low priority if ever. The real important part is to be able to generate temp images ASAP (speed vs compression ratio are inversely related)
0 Kudos