Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kb1972
Visitor

Can I add advertising to an existing channel?

Am I allowed to release a free channel without ads, then later add banner ads to it?

I'm thinking of this as my dev plan:
1. release free channel with no ads
2. release paid channel with more features (also no ads)
3. update free channel: add ads plus 'upgrade to paid channel' button
4. profit!
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
thetick
Roku Guru

Re: Can I add advertising to an existing channel?

You forgot:

5: Angry customers .. very very small number of paying users that one can count on one's hand.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube / Animal Planet GO / HBO MAX. Chromecast for most other media because Roku Mirroring sucks , how many clicks in Wndows 10 (about a dozen) to Miracast on Roku vs 2 with Chromecast.
Verizon FIOS TV and Internet Service
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

bait and switch...
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
BradC
Channel Surfer

It sounds like you might be trying to deceive people as to what they are getting... that is never going to go well for you.

Make sure to let people know up front what they are getting, and you should be fine. If you have the ability, you might consider adding a "free preview week" option to your paid channel that allows subscribed users to view ad-free for a set period, and at the end of that period they can upgrade to paid or continue with ads, plenty of other video services do this. Most of us are subscribed to netflix because we tried the free month and decided it was worth the cost.
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos
kb1972
Visitor

Yeah, I was worried that it might seem like a bait and switch. I'll look at ways for early adopters to remain ad-free.

Thanks for the feedback!
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

A more user friendly way to move forward would be to add a notice to your channel that you will be adding advertising soon, and that you will have a subscription version of your channel available for those who like the channel but don't want to see advertisements.

- Joel
0 Kudos