Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaycharles
Visitor

CEA608 Caption support?

My HLS server implementation supports injection of SEI data for CEA608 captions, which work fine on Quicktime and VLC.

Is there a brightscript API for reading and displaying CC1 captions in Roku?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: CEA608 Caption support?

Currently, only SRT files are supported for captions. Roku is "planning to support closed captioning via SMPTE TimeText in a coming software update" but there's no ETA on that yet.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
jaycharles
Visitor

Hmm... sorry to hear that. Seems the rest of the industry is working with CEA608 CC1 via SEI for HLS. Since I'm dealing with live streams, Roku may be a no-go for captioned streams in my use case.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

As I understand it, SMPTE is the industry standard for broadcast captions. Since most live streams are produced for broadcast (probably too general of a statement), SMPTE makes a lot of sense, as it doesn't require any extra encoding. For what it's worth, I believe Apple already support SMPTE for HLS.

Either way, here's the post with the text I quoted in my previous response: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=51113&p=346903#p346903
RokuPatrick may be able to give you more details, if necessary.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos