Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krh5150
Visitor

Burningbushsoft.com Question

Hi,

Does the burningbushsoft.com software just generates the BIF file for the video and no images are actually created or needed? Based on what I've read, I haven't found if images are required or is it just the ROKU that will read off from the BIF file to retrieve the image from the video itself and not from an image file.

Just trying to figure out if it's worth it to purchase burningbushsoft.com than trying to figure out the correct settings I need for FFMpeg and BIFTool.

As far as I understand it, I will not need to generate images from the video file, just the BIF file when using burningbushsoft.com and that is the only thing that ROKU needs to read?

Thanks,
Kevin
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Burningbushsoft.com Question

Not familiar with that tool, but you're right that the BIF is the only file the Roku reads. The image data is part of the BIF. Roku does not read thumbnails from either the video file or external image files. That's true regardless of what tool you use to build the BIF.

The BIF spec: http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ ... cification
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Burningbushsoft.com Question

Just trying to figure out if it's worth it to purchase burningbushsoft.com than trying to figure out the correct settings I need for FFMpeg and BIFTool.

That would depend on if you need to have the .BIF files generated on the server automatically when you upload a new video, or if you want to do it yourself on a pc. I'm not sure if anyone noticed, but the SDK now contains Linux, Mac and Windows binaries for biftool where it used to only contain a windows executable.

- Joel
0 Kudos