Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kurtn718
Visitor

Built-in ToJSON function

Hi. Is there a built-in ToJSON function, similar to ParseJSON?

I couldn't find one in the docs, but I was able to write the following function taking an roAssociativeArray as the input - which works for what I need.

If there is a built-in function, I'll probably replace the code below with that function. If one doesn't exist, then this is my first contribution to the forum. 🙂 If there is a way to write the code better, please offer suggestions.

Thanks,

Kurt
-------
Function ToJSON(jsonData as Object) as String
jsonRequest = "{"
for each key in jsonData
if jsonRequest <> "{" then
jsonRequest = jsonRequest + ","
endif

jsonRequest = jsonRequest + chr(34) + key + chr(34) + " : " + chr(34) + jsonData[key] + chr(34)
end for
jsonRequest = jsonRequest + "}"

return jsonRequest
End Function
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
RokuMarkn
Visitor

Re: Built-in ToJSON function

There is an undocumented global function which does what you want:
FormatJSON(aa as Object) as String
I'm not sure why this isn't documented, probably an oversight.

--Mark
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"RokuMarkn" wrote:

--Mark

Wow.. that should definitely be documented! I've written and refined three different versions of the same functionality so far in BS.. 😛

Any chance it's also available in the 3.1 firmware?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
Rek
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
"RokuMarkn" wrote:

--Mark

Wow.. that should definitely be documented! I've written and refined three different versions of the same functionality so far in BS.. 😛

Agreed, I hit the same problem and ended up relying on librokudev's rdJSONBuilder function.
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
"RokuMarkn" wrote:

--Mark

Bump.

Roku support...
Any answer on the 3.1 question?
Also, it appears the FormatJSON global function is still not in the online docs. - Can we get the docs updated?
BTW... it's hard to be 100% sure the docs haven't been updated, since the developer wiki's dashboard functionality that listed recent changes went missing sometime in the last month or two - any chance we can get that reinstated? That was a very useful feature.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"malloys" wrote:

Bump.
Roku support...
Also, it appears the FormatJSON global function is still not in the online docs. - Can we get the docs updated?
BTW... it's hard to be 100% sure the docs haven't been updated, since the developer wiki's dashboard functionality that listed recent changes went missing sometime in the last month or two - any chance we can get that reinstated? That was a very useful feature.

Useful it is indeed, though in a corner hard to find: http://sdkdocs.roku.com/pages/recentlyu ... key=sdkdoc
Good luck (you will need it) with the first two items.
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"EnTerr" wrote:
"malloys" wrote:

Bump.
Roku support...

Useful it is indeed, though in a corner hard to find: http://sdkdocs.roku.com/pages/recentlyu ... key=sdkdoc

Thanks - discovered that myself a few minutes after posting.
FYI, the view I was referring to was the Dashboard URL/level itself ( http://sdkdocs.roku.com/dashboard.action ), but this looks similar enough.

In any case, I think we all agree that FormatJSON() still needs to be documented in the BrightScript Language Guide.

Cheers
0 Kudos
RokuMarkn
Visitor

It's not currently in the 3.1 firmware.

--Mark
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Before functions like FormatJSON are published in the documentation, they need to go through an API review process. Anything that hasn't, is potentially subject to change, so basing a public channel on an upublished function is somewhat risky.

- Joel
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"RokuJoel" wrote:
Before functions like FormatJSON are published in the documentation, they need to go through an API review process. Anything that hasn't, is potentially subject to change, so basing a public channel on an upublished function is somewhat risky.

- Joel
You could tag such features as *experimental* or similar in the documentation(with a formal statement that they're subject to change/removal) and then receive potentially useful feedback on them like bugs, enhancement requests, and discussion of the feature documentation, all prior to having to officially support it. The way I see it, if it's going to be discussed in the forum anyway, it might as well be properly organized. There's a lot of precedent for documenting not-yet-released features in, just for instance, web browsers and web technologies.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos