Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Brightscript line continuation marker/method?

Hm, you are indeed eating peas with a knife, by choice - but i wouldn't dare stand between your knife and the peas.

It will be best indeed if RokuCo adds line continuation character to the language akin to http://www.vbexplorer.com/VBExplorer/tips/src33.asp
Something like, when lexer/tokenizer encounters (pardon my regex) \s(_([ \t]*'.*)?\n) - replace it with a single whitespace and chug along. Except they need to consider how line counting is affected.

PS. Regarding type-checking, how's that working in Javascript? I am with you in B/S but use shorter descriptive names (consider this OSHA mandate) and don't add "as dynamic", that's the default.
PPS. i looked it up
[spoiler=door tech:30ic9vwd]
[/spoiler:30ic9vwd]
0 Kudos
dcrandall
Visitor

"EnTerr" wrote:

PS. Regarding type-checking, how's that working in Javascript?

I keep asking for it, and they keep turning me down. Doug Crockford has a restraining order against me.

I eat my peas with honey
I've done it all my life
People think it's funny
But it keeps them on my knife
0 Kudos
BradC
Channel Surfer

just to throw in my $/50, I was looking for this earlier as well, and could not locate anything, so I had to break up the lines programmatically.

I think the compiler has changed recently, though, because the compiler seems to happily handle lines over 1000 characters now. (not that you could read them, but they can exist without killing the compile)
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

@Roku* -
still no line continuation char in B/S?

Needed it today, tried and "_" at EOL still does not extend to next line, nor does unfinished expression (e.g. `x + y +`) auto-continue to next line. I can work around this but thought i'll ask if something has changed lately on this
0 Kudos
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

No, there isn't any line continuation support currently. The feature request is noted.
0 Kudos
owen777
Binge Watcher

Anything new on this topic?
0 Kudos
RokuKC
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"owen777" wrote:
Anything new on this topic?

Sorry, it is still on the backlog.
0 Kudos

Hello! I am starting with Roku (and brightscript). It might be a great idea to do it the same way Python does: https://developer.rhino3d.com/guides/rhinopython/python-statements/#:~:text=You%20cannot%20split%20a...

0 Kudos