Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alpha232
Visitor

Bridge the gap to BrightSign!

I've been following a number of threads in regards to expanding use of the Roku into experimental or developmental applications where users are directed to BrightSign products, is this part of a non-compete with the split between the two companies?

It would be helpful to hear creative suggestions to help bridge the staggering, heart stopping, and wallet vaporizing price gap in moving to a BrightSign platform.

Like another user who had posted recently, I would like to use my Roku for a video loop, running either a single long video or multiple video clips as part of a promotional display. I can see the push towards BrightSign but this is for in-house use and in no way can I justify the costs.

Are there any other developers who are working or looking to work at expanding the functionality of the consumer level Roku?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Bridge the gap to BrightSign!

"alpha232" wrote:
It would be helpful to hear creative suggestions to help bridge the staggering, heart stopping, and wallet vaporizing price gap in moving to a BrightSign platform.

There's only a $180 difference between the top-end Roku and low-end BrightSign. Doesn't seem so dramatic that you should be having heart issues... 😛

"alpha232" wrote:
Like another user who had posted recently, I would like to use my Roku for a video loop, running either a single long video or multiple video clips as part of a promotional display. I can see the push towards BrightSign but this is for in-house use and in no way can I justify the costs.

There's no reason you couldn't do this with a Roku. The main benefit you'd get from using the BrightSign instead would be automatic startup and gapless playback. If you don't mind selecting the channel from the Roku home screen everytime you reboot the box, and don't mind a buffering delay between loops through the video, then the Roku should do the job nicely.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I've setup a heartbeat sort of thing where the channel pings a PHP file on a server every minute or so which creates a file on the server. Then I used a cron job on the server to check if the file is present every couple of minutes and if not restart the channel via ECP and either way delete the file. Not very elegant, but it works.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

Roku and Brightsign are focused on two distinct markets with significantly different requirements. If you need a product for dedicated, commercial, or digital signage use, then Brightsign is appropriate. Roku's considerations are entirely consumer-focused
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.