Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeremyk
Visitor

Breakdown of players by version of software

I was wondering if there is a list somewhere that shows what the latest software version for each device and what the breakdown is by users (percentage is fine). If we are considering adding new features to our channels, then it would be nice to know what portion of the population we might be alienating by adding a specific feature.

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
MSGreg
Visitor

Re: Breakdown of players by version of software

I asked a similar question here.
What is the market share of 4.3 and later vs. prior versions?

We can correlate public announcements of devices sold with release dates. Let's use this thread to accumulate information until Roku responds.

link
Patrick Ellis, Manager, Developer Program at Roku:
We ended 2011 with approximately 2,500,000 players sold in total from first shipping the product (with just Netflix) in May 2008.

link
Devices Sold 2010: 1,000,000 ("most gifted video device during the holidays, 2010") ("In fact, the Roku XDS was one of our own top-10 picks this year for gadget gifts.")

link
Roku sold 1.5 million boxes last year [2011], 25% below expectations

The last report seems inconsistent (how can total in 2011 be 2.5M AND total since 2008 be 2.5M. Perhaps the number sold in 2008, 2009 is small?

Taking the release information from wikipedia:
Roku DVP (N1000)	  May 2008	Oct 2009
Roku SD (N1050) Oct 2009 Sep 2010
Roku HD (N1100) Nov 2009 Sep 2010
Roku HD-XR (N1101) Oct 2009 Sep 2010
Roku HD (2000C) Sep 2010 Jul 2011
Roku XD (2050N, 2050X) Sep 2010 Jul 2011
Roku XDS (2100X) Sep 2010 Jul 2011

Second Generation
Roku LT (2400X, 2450X) Nov 2011
Roku HD (2500X) Apr 2012
Roku 2 HD (3000X) Jul 2011 Apr 2012 ?
Roku 2 XD (3050X) Jul 2011
Roku 2 XS (3100X) Jul 2011

EDUCATED GUESS:
maybe 1Million sold of first generation devices through mid 2011
maybe 1million sold of second generation devices after mid 2011 (total guess).
maybe a remaining 500K of first gen devices sold in 2008, 2009 and Roku LT/HD sold in 2012
If we're seeing 1.5 million per year, then we might now be at about 500K units sold in 2012, perhaps less.

And, aren't all boxes automatically upgraded if they are connected? (and if they're not connected, it'd be hard to operate). So any devices out there will be running the latest of whatever they support. I think that's 3.1 or 4.8 (or 4.7 in the UK right now).

Making these assumptions, we're at 1500K at 3.1 or below, and 1500K at 4.1 or above.
So, 50% old vs. new.
Subtract out broken and unused, perhaps that slightly favors the new devices. Maybe 60% on firmware 4.7/4.8 (total guess)

How's that for just answering with almost no information? 🙂
EDUCATED GUESS

Anyone have any additional information or corrections?
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

Players update automatically. So excepting short periods of time where the update is still rolling out (generally two-four weeks), players are always on the latest firmware for their respective platform: 4.x for Roku2 and 3.x for Roku1. Right now, that would be 4.8 and 3.1. The SDK documentation generally notes what new features have been introduced in each firmware. I'm not able to answer the percentage question, but I'm sure someone else can provide a rough estimate.

/edit: I think MSGreg sums it up pretty well above.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
jeremyk
Visitor

Thanks for the information, so I am curious what everyone else's feelings are in terms of developing for older versions. We have always taken the stance to support the oldest possible device in order to gain the maximum amount of audience, but thereby sacrificing some of the new functionality. What has everyone else been doing? We want to focus on the latest and greatest but potentially alienating 30-40% of the market is insanity to us...

Thanks again.
0 Kudos
MSGreg
Visitor

Based only on feeling, and no experience whatsoever, I am leaning towards Scenario 5.3 in the Roku Developer's Guide - Channel Packaging And Publishing "New channel version has different behavior throughout your application based on the detected firmwa...

The decision for me is partly based on how much effort it is in maintaining the two versions "in code" as it were. As opposed to keeping separate versions with two different code paths. Depends on how much the business model depends on the new features. Perhaps that last statement is self evident 😉
0 Kudos
MSGreg
Visitor

LT/new HD are on newer 4.x firmware

Just a small correction: the Roku LT and new HD runs 4.x firmware, not 3.1.

"another software update for Roku 2, Roku LT and new Roku HD players...version 4.7"

So I think that means there are no devices currently shipping that run 3.1. Adjust complete guess above slightly more towards 4.x devices:
I assumed "maybe a remaining 500K of first gen devices sold in 2008, 2009 and Roku LT/HD sold in 2012" to be 50/50, but probably more toward the 4.x devices since they represent the least expensive yet still very functional end of the current Roku line.

I don't know if developing for LT/HD vs 2XS/2XD are substantially different for apps or games; due to hardware differences, for example. Anyone care to comment?
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

Re: LT/new HD are on newer 4.x firmware

"MSGreg" wrote:

So I think that means there are no devices currently shipping that run 3.1.

Correct, other than a few sources that seem to be selling old stock or referbs.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos