Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lightcatcher
Visitor

Banner Ads & Viewer Stats

My apologies in advance, I'm sure this has been covered in older posts but I did a search and can't find any responses that help.....

If we'd like viewer numbers on our public channel, can Roku supply that?

Obviously an advertising rate card could be formulated based on the above stats but are there some standard rates for banner ads on a public channel?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
stratcat96
Visitor

Re: Banner Ads & Viewer Stats

A developer's page associated with your developer account will show the number of installs of your channel. That number is a little misleading because it shows the number of accounts the channel is installed on, and an account can feed multiple boxes associated with it. At the very least it gives you a minimum baseline for stats on any channel you create, and that number is likely higher as far as the number of actual boxes its on.

As far as rates on banner ads I couldn't help you but perhaps another will chime in with their experience.
0 Kudos
Lightcatcher
Visitor

Thanks for your response. We had to use a 3rd party developer--apparently, we need to consult with them on this issue. If anyone has a handle on rates for banner ads, it would help.
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

The easiest way is just to check your server logs to see how many people have connected and streamed from a Roku. Any decent log analyzer software should be able to get you this info, or you can gather quite a bit of info using cat and grep from your command line (on linux / unix. For windows use Cygwin to get all that linux command-line goodness), for instance,

in my current log, how many roku hits on my website:

cat access.log | grep 'Roku/DVP-' | wc -l

how many roku2?

cat access.log | grep 'Roku/DVP-4.1'

how many people played "myawesomevideo.mp4" ?

cat access.log | grep 'Roku/DVP-' | grep 'myawesomevideo.mp4' | wc -l

Will tell you how many people at least started watching that video.

Otherwise, there are plenty of good free, open source Log analyzers , and some really good closed source, like Sawmill, my favorite.

- Joel
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
sunny77
Visitor

Joel,
Through these logs can we also track how long a video was played? If not is there a different way to get that info from roku?

Rgds,
Sunny
0 Kudos
cathin_32
Visitor

I want to download some web banner ads to show our sponsor level. So, please suggest me which embedded code and website urls are used in these banner ads.
0 Kudos