Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio corruption on N1000

I have a couple user reports of audio corruption during video playback for my channel. They have: Roku HD, model N1000, Software version 2.6 build 693

I have: Roku HD model N1100, Software version 2.6 build 693

An example file is:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/khanvideo/publi ... D24QJ0.mp4

For me it works fine, they report that video works but audio is broken.

Here's what ffmpeg says about the file:

Seems stream 0 codec frame rate differs from container frame rate: 65535.00 (65535/1) -> 30.00 (30/1)
Input #0, mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2, from 'bAerID24QJ0.mp4':
Duration: 00:07:32.26, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 188 kb/s
Stream #0.0(und): Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 320x240 [PAR 1:1 DAR 4:3], 30 tbr, 65535 tbn, 65535 tbc
Stream #0.1(und): Audio: ac3, 44100 Hz, stereo, s16

Any clues? I can re-encode my video files with different flags and options, but I don't have a N1000 to test against.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Audio corruption on N1000

It doesn't have any sound on either one of my boxes. Not only that, but it doesn't have sound on two different computers running different versions of Windose and using Windows Media Player or Media Player Classic (with AAC codecs). If I look at the "details" using explorer, the Audio section lists a bit rate, but nothing for the number of channels or sample rate (which is odd). Additionally, if I use HandBrake to convert your video it gives all sorts of audio sync issues and produces something without much in the way of sound.

It does play with sound using VLC.

I hate to use Windows as a benchmark, but I guess if you can make it happy you'd have a better chance of things working.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply, renojim.

I tried reencoding one of the files using aac instead of ac3. That one works on my N1100 and also plays in Windows. Could you try it on you roku? It is in the public Khan academy channel, under "other" - "ck12.org worked examples". It is the last episode, named "secret audio test".

If that one works on the N1000 I'll reencode everything with those options.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Oops! I actually confused AAC and AC3 in my previous post. Sorry about that.

Anyway, it looks and sounds great!

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos