Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wind
Visitor

Any way to use two roku's for development?

Have 2 Rokus a 3 and a 2. Want to use one for development, as one has a channel side loaded that I prefer not to unload when I need to create a pkg. Both show the side loaded channel on development web page for each Roku. Both are same network with different IPs. Thanks for any help!
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Re: Any way to use two roku's for development?

Side loading a channel on Roku A @192.168.0.X will not change anything on Roku B @ 192.168.0.Y. I have the same setup. If you want the same Dev key on both you can re-key one to match the other by loading a pkg from the first Roku into the second Roku on the installer/utilities/rekey web page.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
wind
Visitor

Thanks squirreltown, I will put that to work!Take Care
0 Kudos
wind
Visitor

"squirreltown" wrote:
Side loading a channel on Roku A @192.168.0.X will not change anything on Roku B @ 192.168.0.Y. I have the same setup. If you want the same Dev key on both you can re-key one to match the other by loading a pkg from the first Roku into the second Roku on the installer/utilities/rekey web page.

Maybe I could get a little more detail as I did put one of the Rokus in dev.mode and tried to log in under 192.168.0.(other #'s) and the web page would time out. I show both Roku's as being side loaded, can they both have their own side loads? I have one Roku account they both use.
0 Kudos
BradC
Channel Surfer

Every roku box can have it's own side load. Any side-loaded channels will not be affected unless you connect directly to that roku and change something. Try resetting and re-enabling dev mode on that one, and be real sure about getting the IP address correct.

If you are doing development, you might want to consider making your side-loaded channel a private channel so you don't have to worry about it. That way you can keep it forever without worrying about the side load issue, and you can use both boxes for testing your development channel, seems like a waste to have a test environment available that you aren't using just because of a side-loaded channel. I have 5 rokus on my account, and test my new channels on every one of them before I submit it. There are a LOT of differences between roku boxes, and a channel that works fine on one will often run into bugs on another firmware version that keep it from working correctly. Test on as many as you can.
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos