Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
norlin
Visitor

Any way to run Javascript code inside Roku app?

Hello!

Is there any way to run JS code inside Roku app?
I mean, probably, anything like iOS' JSContext API or WebKit component, maybe some kind of virtual machine?

I have seen something about Marmalade SDK on this forum, but related page on Roku website is missing ( https://www.roku.com/developer-marmalade ) – is it still possible? If so, is it possible to make a kind of library with Marmalade to use it later inside native BrightScript app?

Also, different question, is there any way to develop/compile a Roku app in any other language? (maybe C++ or anything else...)

Thank you!
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Any way to run Javascript code inside Roku app?

"norlin" wrote:
Is there any way to run JS code inside Roku app? I mean, probably, anything like iOS' JSContext API or WebKit component, maybe some kind of virtual machine?

No. Plain and simple.

I have seen something about Marmalade SDK on this forum, but related page on Roku website is missing ( https://www.roku.com/developer-marmalade ) – is it still possible?

Yes.

If so, is it possible to make a kind of library with Marmalade to use it later inside native BrightScript app?

Ah, good try - but no. As far as i was told, there is no way to traverse back & forth as FFI API calls
0 Kudos
norlin
Visitor

Thanks!

And what about other languages (C++, for example, or anything else which could be compiled to binary)?
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I think the NDK allowed such a thing, but I don't know if it's still supported/allowed and, even if it is, good luck with getting approved for that.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos