Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greno
Visitor

Re: Announcing Juice for Roku - Android App and Channel

That's great - thanks for the feedback!
0 Kudos
jae_63
Visitor

The paid app was working well for me last week, but today I ran into some problems. I rebooted my Roku XD Player, my Belkin router and my LG Optimus Slider (running Gingerbread). But even that didn't solve the problem, which included Juice for Roku reporting "communications error: searching for app permissions denied"

So I uninstalled the Roku Juice app and reinstalled it from Android Market. This solved the problem.

I don't know if I could reproduce this problem but would be glad to collect a LogCat or some other useful information if you tell me how to obtain it.
0 Kudos
greno
Visitor

That's an odd one - I haven't heard from anyone else with that issue. If it happens again and you can email me the alogcat info, I'd appreciate it! Just send it to gregg.reno@jigawattlabs.com

Thanks,
-Gregg
0 Kudos
cslee_work

Any plans of streaming the entire screen of the android (tablet/phone) to the roku? much like a projector
0 Kudos
greno
Visitor

I would love to do that, but I dont think its possible. At least I dont know how to do it.
-Gregg
0 Kudos
maltob
Visitor

Could you implement a method of manuallyrotating the photos before they are sent, its easy to flip my phone to show someone a picture. A large dlp tv: not so much...
0 Kudos
greno
Visitor

This actually depends on the phone you have. I know some of the earlier Motorola phones did not correctly set the orientation flag for photos taken on the phone. Without that flag being set correctly, I don't think I could reliably know how to orient the photos for every android phone.

What phone do you have?
-Gregg
0 Kudos
destructo
Visitor

Gregg,

I downloaded the android app and add the channel to my Roku. Great work, just awesome!

Now, I have one question for you: How did you manage to get the Roku to play .3gp files from my Droid X? Does this app/channel combination some how trans-code on the fly? I'm guessing no, as my phone doesn't have the horsepower to deliver this kind of video quality. So I'm guessing you figured out how to get the Roku to play my 720p .3gp files flawlessly on the Roku. Care to share your secret?
destructo
--------------------------------------------------------------
Rokoding: http://roku.yt1300.com
Destructo! Project: http://destructo.YT1300.com
LunchTray Conspiracy: http://lunchtray.YT1300.com
0 Kudos
greno
Visitor

Glad you like the app JR. No, I don't do any transcoding - I simply send the file to Roku to figure it out and play it.

I'm really no expert on video encoding, but my understanding is that mp4 and 3gp are just containers. What is more important is what video and audio codecs were used. There is a published list of formats here: http://support.roku.com/entries/423946- ... el-support

In my experience, the older versions of Android used an incompatible audio encoder. So if you played a 3gp file, you could see the video but not hear the audio. For you, the manufacturer must have used compatible video and audio codecs.
-Gregg
0 Kudos

Hey Gregg,

This is off topic for this post, but here's what I need to do with Roku and juice - and I don't think it would take too much to make it happen. Please build the functionality top allow the Roku running over wireless to connect directly to an android phone wifi IP or MAC address, WITHOUT having to use a router. This would be like connecting two PC's using a crossover cable, peer to peer. No gateway other than the android and roku seeing each other. I didn't know if it would be better to set the android up as a hotspot and have Juice not require the wifi to be turned on, or somehow let you see the roku stand alone over wifi without being connected to a router.

Then, maybe the folks at Roku will design an accessory - an external rechargeable nimh battery pack. I can probably build one using RC batteries, but 5VDC is a little non standard for that sort of thing. Maybe they'd even consider changing their power supply to help add that functionality.
0 Kudos