Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Re: An icon for BrightScript language

Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"squirreltown" wrote:
Yes, I agree. If someone wants to use it I'm happy to make whatever sizes are required, but you always start with the biggest 4-color version you might need, because you never know.

Using a purple d-pad as an icon is an idea i've had for a while. Unfortunately my gifts in the visual arts dept. are... how should i put it - suffice to say i can't tell if the above were 4 distinct colors or just different shades of octarine. We are lucky to have a graphic artist amongst us!

If any text at all, methinks should be "BRS" or "BrS" - given that the file type extension is ".brs"

PS. the color of magic however should definitely be on the icon!  :mrgreen:
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

One option with Roku color:

0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

The color is good but the text doesn't work at that small size you wanted.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

on (un?)related note, i just realized that "BrS" reads like the chemical formula of Sulfur Bromide, 
a poisonous gas with orange/yellow predilection  
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:
on (un?)related note, i just realized that "BrS" reads like the chemical formula of Sulfur Bromide, 
a poisonous gas with orange/yellow predilection  

Iodine makes Roku purple gas, and it's symbol ( I ) fits anywhere. I'm not sure how that helps us though.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
belltown
Roku Guru

"squirreltown" wrote:
The color is good but the text doesn't work at that small size you wanted.

Agreed. I don't think the text would work. It's for a font glyph, the size of a single character, not really an actual logo. And it's just for personal development use, the main purpose being able to easily distinguish your brs files from other file types in an explorer pane file list.

I'm not sure whether the "icon" even should be colored. I haven't looked into it much yet, but I think the Atom package uses CSS to assign colors, like you would for any other font characters, rather than the font characters themselves being colored.
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

This is the repository to add new icons, the readme has the instructions on how to create it:
https://github.com/Alhadis/FileIcons
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

I can export the paths to an Illustrator file but don't have Illustrator which is required to produce the SVG file. Anyone else?
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"squirreltown" wrote:
Iodine makes Roku purple gas, and it's symbol ( I ) fits anywhere. I'm not sure how that helps us though.

I was concerned of name/meaning clash if one were to use "BrS".
But on a 3rd thought, NaCl is an example of abbreviation overload.

Coincidentally, NaCl is another halide. Woo-hoo, chemistry fun!
I am surprised you remember iodine can be violet tho! i tend to think of it as "brown" because, iodine tincture. But now i remember when i was in secondary school, one of my "mad scientist" home experiments blew up in my face, almost blinding me. TIL that must been "nitrogen triiodide". Said explosion left a cloud of purple smoke, plus me seeing the world tinted purple for hours.
0 Kudos