Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gonzotek
Visitor

Re: An approval process for *private* channels?

"CacheFreeTV" wrote:
Actually, I'm beginning to wonder if there is an approval process for *PUBLIC* channels, considering some of the stuff that is becoming available in the channel store. On the rest of the internet, we'd call them "spam", but on Roku, no.
Eh, 90% of everything is crud. As the platform grows, it's bound to happen. For comparison, the iOS app store is filled with how many junk apps? Roku just needs to get focused on helping expose the good stuff.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

One persons crud is another's hot fudge sundae...

Most of the recently released channels we've published, with maybe a few exceptions have pretty good graphic design and well encoded content. Some of the religious channels have what I would consider *outstanding* graphic design. (I guess that's who is still hiring all the great artists these days, as it has been for thousands of years so it continues)

Some of what we recently published has outstanding general interest content - for example, Jonathan Birds Big Blue world, for example - truly stunning HD undersea footage.

UCTV has some great lectures on science, politics and social issues, MIT Open Courseware has some really fascinating courses on Robotics, Engineering, Mathematics and much more. (although the video resolution is fairly low-fidelity, the camera usually zooms in on the blackboard so you can read what is on it.). We've got some great musical-comedy channels like Kosher Metal and Metal Injection, and an incredible Multi-lingual education program, Innovative language that was release a few weeks ago. Hola NY streams great Latin music 24/7 and we probably are getting close to having a representative channel for almost every sub sect of every religion on earth.

"Surfacing" the higher quality channels and allowing some kind of filtering mechanism is something we are working on right now.

- Joel
0 Kudos
Namtar777

If all you are wanting to do is stream from home to a remote location, then check out Plex. http://www.plexapp.com

There are several Roku private channels developed for this, my favorite is installed with the code plexgrid

Enjoy
0 Kudos
workc

This feature has been present in private channel publishing since late 2011, and some may have initially considered it a website glitch.

We don't endorse its use, but if you choose to, ensure your channel appears professional with high-quality, rights-cleared content, or we'll decline it.

0 Kudos