Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fry19
Binge Watcher

Advice on how to build a screensaver settings screen

I have build a screensaver and would like to add a settings screen for it. I implemented the RunScreenSaverSettings function in my main and create/display a brand new scene. All this works great.

Where I am struggling is how to build such a screen. I basically have a few settings, each with a few values... something like:

Clock format: off / 12h / 24h

Display Background Image: on / off

It looks like the Settings model of the Roku device which has list of settings with arrows left/right to navigate seems to be a good model (that obviously users would be familiar with). That being said, I am very unclear how to implement such an interface. Is there an example code somewhere on how to implement it? Or can somebody explain the various complements used?

Thank you

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
fry19
Binge Watcher

Re: Advice on how to build a screensaver settings screen

After much digging, I think I can answer my own question. It looks like the OverhangPanelSetScene component is the way to go. In the github Roku samples project, I did find an example of something that would show what I wanted to implement.

There is a deployable app/zip file (AdvancedRowList.zip) in the "lists and grids" folder which demonstrates how to implement the Roku main interface with sliding panels.

It's a good demo including source code on how to do it (I am glad that there is an example, because although in the end it is not a lot of code, there are a lot of moving pieces to make it "work").

0 Kudos
nealrs
Reel Rookie

Re: Advice on how to build a screensaver settings screen

@fry19 - any chance you'd be willing to share the scene & code for your settings screen?

I know how to use the registry to get/set data, but I'd love to get a simple settings screen working without reinventing the wheel 🙂 I'm nealrs at gmail

0 Kudos