Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gadgetseeker
Visitor

Additional BrightScript Documentation ?

:?: I was wondering if there is another source for BrightScript language documentation other than Roku's documentation (which stinks).
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
kc8pql
Visitor

Re: Additional BrightScript Documentation ?

Not likely. Brightscript is unique to Roku.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"gadgetseeker" wrote:
:?: I was wondering if there is another source for BrightScript language documentation other than Roku's documentation (which stinks).
Do you have any specific questions? After sdkdocs.roku.com, this forum is probably the next best source of knowledge, although you'll need to ask and/or go searching to get answers, rather than having it organized into proper documentation. They do frequently update the official docs and often take cues for improvements from discussions that start here.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"gonzotek" wrote:
this forum is probably the next best source of knowledge

I would say no probably about it, and its the best source not the next best. The less you know, the more useless the Roku docs are, and vise versa. Roku really ought to say right on the first page This is NOT a tutorial! Find an SDK example and start digging! My understanding is that the Roku started life as a one function device and somewhere along the line someone decided it could do a lot more and started expanding the OS. You don't have to get very far into Brightscript to start running into the potholes that result from this kind of scenario, And the lack of a tutorial is just one of them. The good news is that with this board, your willingness to learn is the only limiting factor, excluding the potholes of course.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos