Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gabek
Visitor

Adding to a PanelSet causes a device reset

I have a single PanelSet at the root of my scene (created by an OverhangPanelSetScene). For convenience, I've assigned the PanelSet to m.global.panelSet.  The first time I add something to the PanelSet's stack it works fine, but any further attempts will always crash the entire device with no errors.

For example.
Scene -> PanelSet -> PanelA is added right away when the PanelSet is created -> PanelB is appended to the stack from a user action -> Attempt to add PanelC from a user action will always crash.
And it's just using the simple child interface to add them:

m.newPanel = createObject("roSGNode", "NewCustomPanel")
m.global.panelSet.appendChild(m.newPanel)

As a sanity check I've verified that m.global.panelSet is what I expect it to be, and it looks like a sane PanelSet.

Is there anything about my interpretation of Panels that is wrong?  Seems like I should be able to continue to add to the Panel stack without any issues.
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
gabek
Visitor

Re: Adding to a PanelSet causes a device reset

After some trial and error, I found it seems to be a very specific case.  Only when a panel has m.top.isFullScreen set to true when adding it to the PanelSet does this crash happen.  Setting it to false or not setting it at all will not result in the device restarting itself.
0 Kudos
gabek
Visitor

Maybe a simple question is: What is the best practice for adding to a PanelSet?  Is creating a reference to it in the global node so child Panels can append additional children to it the way it's supposed to be done?  All the Roku provided examples seem to only add children from the node that created the panelSet itself, but I guess I don't understand how that's useful in an app where navigation can fork.
0 Kudos
gabek
Visitor

Trying a different approach by only using a GridPanel's "nextPanel" to add Panels to the PanelSet stack and the results are the same.
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

`panel.isFullScreen = true` causing a crash might be a bug.
What device model# / firmware versions?
0 Kudos
gabek
Visitor

I'm using a 4640X on 7.6.0 build 4120-29.  I emailed developer support per your suggestion in PM and I'll keep this thread updated if I get anything back.
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

Ok - so there is a bug causing crash-reboot if setting the right panel to full screen. It will be fixed but not soon.
0 Kudos
nmaves
Visitor

Any update or work around for adding panels that are full width?
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

"nmaves" wrote:
Any update or work around for adding panels that are full width?

(although for all i know this is fixed in 7.7?) Think I have a workaround, by adding two new panels on the right, one wide, one narrow.  The narrow one on the far right, leave it empty, set focusable=false.  The wide panel, just populate with content sized and translated as if you own the full screen.  This idea seemed to work in the experiments I was doing last week.
aspiring
0 Kudos
nmaves
Visitor

Is there any work from Roku when this might be fixed or a solid work around?

My panel set starts with a narrow on the left and a wide on the right.  When the right panel gains focus it converts to a fullscreen panel.  Then when an item on that panel is selected I add another fullscreen panel.  BOOM! blows sky high.

If I don't let the first right panel convert to a fullscreen panel everything works but that is not the behavior that I am looking for.
0 Kudos