Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjalelle
Visitor

About Creating an app to stream Live TV

Hi all,

I am not a programmer but a very happy Roku user. I have a friend who developed an app for iphone and android. So he will be my programmer for the idea I have. Here is my question...i see some live TV shows being broadcasted from AFRica and Asia on Roku. My plan is to create an app so that I can watch live TV show from my native land. Do we need a permit to do this? please help.

thanks
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
kbenson
Visitor

Re: About Creating an app to stream Live TV

Strictly speaking, you need to make sure you are abiding by the license set forth by the websites providing the content, but if they are making it generally available online, you can probably get away without explicit authorization if you keep it private. I suspect Roku may want some sort of assurance you are authorized to utilize the content if you wanted to put it in the channel store and use the content provider's name, especially if you charged for it.

If I were you, after determining if the content is in a format that can be played on the Roku, I would contact the sources and ask for permission if you plan to put it in the channel store or charge for it in any way. If the content isn't in a format the Roku can play, maybe the content providers can accommodate you...
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos