Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
squirreltown
Roku Guru

5.4 stops development.

I really really hate that the Roku doesn't give you an option to not upgrade the firmware right now.

You know - maybe you're a dev working on something and many many many years of dealing with digital boxes has taught you never to upgrade software in the middle of important projects because software is written by humans who occasionally make mistakes and that will screw you with no recourse?

My 2XS upgraded itself to 5.4 last night and this morning I have had to reboot the box 7 times in the last hour, as in unplug it because side-loading a project hangs the box completely - no response to the remote. Not every single time mind you, just about 70% of the time, with a project that has been side-loaded a thousand times.

Using the manual upload with a browser the process seems to hang in various places - when you first click "replace', then "waiting for 192.xx.xx.xx...." then "timeout' unknown results" at this point the Roku hangs with what ever is on the screen - Or it gets a little farther and the screen goes black like it is loading and then hangs there. Either way, un-pluging it is the only way out.

No matter what happens, the side-load is getting into the box and is there on re-boot though, so there is that - but this pretty much kills my ability to do anything.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
26 REPLIES 26
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Re: 5.4 stops development.

More obsevations:

Always happens (above post) if roScreen is in motion when pkg is sideloaded ie; animated screensaver type screen OR if in the debugger (after a BS crash), less so otherwise.

Function which is almost completely stock SDK scroll example no longer works, region shows black and flickers wierdly when drawing. Lucky for me I'm replacing it today.

When loading a channel from Roku home screen, there is a weird tearing effect at the top 10% of the screen.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
GPF
Visitor

"squirreltown" wrote:
I really really hate that the Roku doesn't give you an option to not upgrade the firmware right now.

You know - maybe you're a dev working on something and many many many years of dealing with digital boxes has taught you never to upgrade software in the middle of important projects because software is written by humans who occasionally make mistakes and that will screw you with no recourse?

My 2XS upgraded itself to 5.4 last night and this morning I have had to reboot the box 7 times in the last hour, as in unplug it because side-loading a project hangs the box completely - no response to the remote. Not every single time mind you, just about 70% of the time, with a project that has been side-loaded a thousand times.

Using the manual upload with a browser the process seems to hang in various places - when you first click "replace', then "waiting for 192.xx.xx.xx...." then "timeout' unknown results" at this point the Roku hangs with what ever is on the screen - Or it gets a little farther and the screen goes black like it is loading and then hangs there. Either way, un-pluging it is the only way out.

No matter what happens, the side-load is getting into the box and is there on re-boot though, so there is that - but this pretty much kills my ability to do anything.

This is happening to me also for the last couple days and didn't realize there was a update.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

You should have a device that isn't on the list to get pre-release beta's for your development, in addition to the ones that are. My suggestion for the issue you are experiencing is that you disable, then re-enable developer mode on the device, and then reboot it, you might want to reboot your network router as well, check batteries in the remote too.

- Joel
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
You should have a device that isn't on the list to get pre-release beta's for your development, in addition to the ones that are. My suggestion for the issue you are experiencing is that you disable, then re-enable developer mode on the device, and then reboot it, you might want to reboot your network router as well, check batteries in the remote too.

- Joel

Joel,

I will try disabling/enabling dev mode.
I'm not on any beta list I'm aware of, why would I receive one? Is that what you are saying, 5.4 3358 is a beta?
Remote batteries, router - really??, please.
Perhaps you could address whether forced updates is the best way to do it, perhaps it would be better for enabling dev mode to switch them off and make it optional.

thanks
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

disabling/enabling dev mode did not fix the problem.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

5.4 3358 is a beta?

Yes. Somewhere along the way, when submitting a channel perhaps, you indicated you were interested in having access to beta firmware, and we added that ESN to the list of devices that get beta. So if you don't want that device to get beta firmware, email me the ESN and I'll see if I can get QA to remove it from the beta list.

- Joel
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"RokuJoel" wrote:
5.4 3358 is a beta?

Yes. Somewhere along the way, when submitting a channel perhaps, you indicated you were interested in having access to beta firmware, and we added that ESN to the list of devices that get beta. So if you don't want that device to get beta firmware, email me the ESN and I'll see if I can get QA to remove it from the beta list.

- Joel
5.4 3358 is not beta:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=68878 (check your PMs for more).
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
firedup
Visitor

"RokuJoel" wrote:

- Joel

I think you are mistaken, Joel. I am a very casual Roku USER and I got 3358 this week. I believe it is a production update.
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
5.4 3358 is a beta?

- Joel

Sorry, you're wrong. I never did that, and I'm not so clueless I would have done it without noticing either. I don't do betas, gave them up long before the Roku even existed.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos