Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
susieq1216

wall outlet is too far away to plug the power cable into

Jump to solution

Just got my Roko Streaming Stick + and my wall outlet is too far away to plug the power cable into, even with the power extender cable. Can I just use a regular extension cord to plug it into or will that affect my connection? (when I just plugged it into the usb port it said something about insufficient power)

Thanks, Susan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NTM23
Streaming Star

Re: wall outlet is too far away to plug the power cable into

Jump to solution

That won't affect internet connection (if that's what you're talking about), but generally, it isn't a good idea to plug valuable electronics into an extension cord. I'm not saying something will definitely go wrong, but it's something you should stay away from if you can. Ideally, if you can find a way, plug the Roku stick directly into a surge protector. It works better if you plug it into an outlet as opposed to the USB port.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
NTM23
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

That won't affect internet connection (if that's what you're talking about), but generally, it isn't a good idea to plug valuable electronics into an extension cord. I'm not saying something will definitely go wrong, but it's something you should stay away from if you can. Ideally, if you can find a way, plug the Roku stick directly into a surge protector. It works better if you plug it into an outlet as opposed to the USB port.

Rick56

Jump to solution

My Roku device worked perfectly plugged into my TV USB port but now I’m getting the message to plug directly into a wall outlet. Like user above, I don’t have a cord long enough AND, unlike like the above suggestion an extension cord or multi-strip does NOT work. Short of hiring an electrician to install a new outlet, what do you suggest?

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Rick56, you can try a USB extension cable like this. If you have a stick with a USB cable that has a bump in it for the long-range Wi-Fi receiver then you'll have to include that cable in the chain and simply using a longer USB cable won't work.  I've never tried an extension cable inline with the USB Wi-Fi receiver, but it should work.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos