Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aomissions
Reel Rookie

Tv remote wont work to change input. Only roku remote will work. Roku express 4k plus

TV remote won't work to change input. I tried trick to reset roku remote and answer no to if I can hear music but it didn't work.  

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
RokuEuniceL
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Tv remote wont work to change input. Only roku remote will work. Roku express 4k plus

Hi @aomissions,

A warm welcome here in the Roku Community!

We're glad to assist you with your inquiry. What TV are you using right now? Please be advised that to change input, you need to hit the Input or Source button of your TV remote. If it doesn't work, try replacing the batteries in your TV remote or charging it if it's rechargeable. The Roku remote cannot change the TV input; it can only control your Roku Express 4K+, power, and volume of your TV.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help you.
All the best,
Eunice

Eunice L.
Roku Community Moderator
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

Re: Tv remote wont work to change input. Only roku remote will work. Roku express 4k plus

@aomissions I may not understand your question.  Are you saying that the remote that came with your TV will not change the the inputs on your TV, or are you saying that your Roku remote will not change the inputs on your TV?  Roku remotes can be programmed to turn a TV on/off and change the volume including mute a TV.  Roku remotes can not be programmed to change inputs on a non Roku TV.  The "trick" to answer no when you actually do hear music only works to "unprogram" your Roku remote so it will not turn your TV on/off or change the volume on the TV.

0 Kudos
aomissions
Reel Rookie

@HDMIGuy @RokuEuniceL @@Insignia tv.  Since we hooked up roku, the remote that came with tv won't  do anything.  None of the buttons on the tv remote work including power, volume and inputs. I changed batteries but it's like the remote that came with tv is locked out

0 Kudos
Strega2
Roku Guru

Have you tried pulling the plug and rebooting the TV?  Rokus don’t mess with other gadgets’ remotes and certainly don’t do anything to a TV’s physical buttons. I think something is messed up in the TV itself.

Banned but back. Because why not?
0 Kudos
HDMIGuy
Roku Guru

@Strega2 @aomissions Interesting that it is an Insignia TV.  The Insignia remote NS-RC4NA-14 will work with any TCL Roku TV.  However the remote for a TCL Roku TV is not the same remote as the remote for a Roku Express 4k and therefore uses different codes.  I had a Roku Streaming Stick Plus connected to an Insignia TV in a spare bedroom and never had a problem.  Did rebooting the Insignia TV solve the problem?

0 Kudos