Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
madtown09
Channel Surfer

Sofabaton X1 with Stick+ and Poor Support from Roku

I had a Logitech Harmony w/hub that I loved, but periodically it would have limited function, especially after I got a TV newer than the last software update from Logitech before they killed it.  Thursday last week it suddenly couldn't control the Roku Stick+ in my living room, so I figured it was time to be done.

Just got an X1 at discount as the X1s have come out.  I would not get it to work with the living room stick+ no matter what.  So, i tried to set it up on the one in our bedroom and, voila.

Not both devices are 3810x with he same SW (12.5.5:4174).  I contacted through chat and support basically said neither should work and it paired "accidentally".  Now, I've had my Harmony since 3 years, and it worked with many sticks including this one just fine.  

I called support, and was put on hold and dropped twice as I didn't find the online support explanation of "you are lucky it works at all" sufficient.  I have to say, if nobody in Roku can give a better explanation, then they've lost any future business from me.  I should add that the X1 uses Wifi, so I don't see why its any different than any other service (Alexa, Home, etc.) controlling the Stick+.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Sofabaton X1 with Stick+ and Poor Support from Roku

The Harmony Hub and Echo devices use an IP based connection like the mobile app (Roku RF remotes use Wi-Fi direct).  It looks like this remote has a hub, so maybe it can work the same way?  Have you asked Sofabaton?

I would echo that you're lucky it works at all.  🙂  The general information is that only Roku voice remotes work with Roku sticks and I really think it's up to the remote manufacturer to offer support rather than Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
madtown09
Channel Surfer

That's exactly how it works I'm sure.

The point I have is 2 identical devices have different responses, and Roku support literally said it "paired accidentally". Accident it was not.  I would think if you have an API defined it would work.

Anyways seems both devices are now out of warranty so it might be a mute point.  I can swap them around for now and just enjoy the function with a little inconvenience and hope it sticks.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

There is one other thing that I hesitate to mention because it may have nothing to do with it, but some developers are reporting that they can no longer issue ECP commands to their devices.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the affected devices or at least nothing Roku has admitted to.  You can follow that discussion here.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
madtown09
Channel Surfer

Interesting, started at the same time I mentioned it seems...

Definitely interested to see how that goes, thanks for the heads up 

0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.