Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roger7
Reel Rookie

Roku remote asleep? How to wake it to turn on my streaming device

Jump to solution

My Roku Voice Remote is asleep. Voice command will not turn on my Roku streaming device. How do I wake it back up?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lives2Eat
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku Remote is asleep - how do I wake it?

Jump to solution

I FINALLY got my remote to work this morning by doing the following (from my app). Yay! Not sure why it suddenly stopped working but at least it's back.

• On a Roku player, go to Settings > System > System restart > Restart

When your Roku device displays the home screen, restart your remote.

When the screen came back, I tried the scroll buttons and they suddenly worked. I didn't do anything to the remote itself. All the buttons are working again.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Roger7
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It is a voice remote and the voice is sleeping.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @Roger7,

Thank you for contacting us regarding your Roku Voice Remote Pro. We understand that your remote voice command will not turn on your Roku device.

What Roku model device are you using?

For Roku TV, enabling a feature on your Roku TV called Fast TV Start lets you make voice requests and listen to music, live radio, podcasts, and more when the TV screen is off.  If you have a Roku Streambar™, Roku Smart Soundbar, or Roku wireless speakers connected to your Roku TV, you can also listen to audio streamed from a Bluetooth® device such as a smartphone, tablet, or computer when the TV screen is off.

You can enable Fast TV Start on your Roku TV at any time using the instructions below:

1. Press the Home button on your Roku TV remote.
  2. Scroll up or down and select Settings.
  3. Select System, followed by Power.
  4. Select Fast TV Start.
  5. Highlight Enable 'Fast TV Start', and check the box to enable it.

Once enabled, saying 'Hey Roku' and a voice command or pressing the microphone button on your remote will allow you to turn on your TV and play music even if the TV screen is off.

We recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: How do I use my voice to search and control my Roku® device? | Official Roku Support

If you still need help, please don't hesitate to keep us posted.

Regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
Blablablah

Jump to solution

Same problem.   First two answers are terribad.   
Maybe someone skilled/knowledgeable from Roku will show up.  
My voice remote is in permanent pairing mode (green light won't stop flashing).  Using Roku remote for iOS, I can navigate with ease.  
My exact meassage:  'Your voice remote is asleep.  To set up TV power and volume control, switch to your Voice Remote and press OK to continue.'

I can adjust volume and power cycle with the Voice Remote.  It is not asleep.  I cannot navigate the Roku menu with the remote buttons. 

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Blablablah, the TV controls (power and volume) work completely different from the other functions, so they will work even if the remote isn't paired.  It is interesting that it says that the remote is sleeping and then tells you about setting up TV power and volume.  It should probably say that it's not paired.

Have you tried the simplest possible remedy?  Restart the Roku from Settings->System->System restart.

Have you tried setting up a new device from Settings->Remotes & devices?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jluma66

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue. New batteries don't fix the issue either. The remote is paired with the tv because the power and volume work but nothing works associated with Roku. Roku Streaming Stick + (3810, 3811 series)  

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hey @jluma66

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you try re-pairing your remote to your Roku device and see if that will resolve the issue you're experiencing. To do this, feel free to follow the steps below:

1. Remove the power cable from your Roku device, wait 5 seconds, and then reconnect the power cable.
  2. Wait until your Roku device displays the home screen.
  3. Restart your remote. Restart your remote by removing and reinserting the batteries. The status light should slowly flash green, stop, then flash rapidly. When this happens, release the pairing button and your remote has restarted.
  4. Press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds until you see the status light begin to flash. If the light does not flash, replace the batteries.
  5. Wait for 30 seconds while the remote establishes a connection with your Roku device.
  6. Once the Roku device is connected to the remote, the pairing dialog should appear on your TV screen.

For more information, visit this Support article: How to resolve issues with your Roku® simple remote or Roku voice remote

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
Lives2Eat
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

My Roku suddenly stopped working tonight for no reason. I finally got it to work with my app but the voice remote is not working at all. No power, no volume, no nothing. I have changed the batteries three times and tried the reset button three times as well. I get the flashing green lights but when they stop, nothing happens. I have only bought the streaming stick in January 2021 and I don't even use it very often. Why is it suddenly not working? 

Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The pairing button on the remote doesn't reset a thing, its used to pair the remote to roku. Will not restore the tv controls at all, that you use the menu settings to do by reprogramming it for your brand of tv. 

settings> remote & devices> remote> remote in use> program tv> follow prompts

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Lives2Eat
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I FINALLY got my remote to work this morning by doing the following (from my app). Yay! Not sure why it suddenly stopped working but at least it's back.

• On a Roku player, go to Settings > System > System restart > Restart

When your Roku device displays the home screen, restart your remote.

When the screen came back, I tried the scroll buttons and they suddenly worked. I didn't do anything to the remote itself. All the buttons are working again.