Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jerry2020

On/off no longer working, settings say tv cannot be used with roku remote

After 5 years using the remotes it no longer controls the tv. When you go to settings to configure TV it says that the TV cannot be controlled by roku, I know it can because I've been doing in it for 5 YEARS! the latest update did something to disable that. Tried a control and that cannot be configured witht he TV either. Is there going to be a new update to the update?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: On/off no longer working, settings say tv cannot be used with roku remote

@Jerry2020-

Some people have reported success in setting their Roku remotes to control their tv volume, mute, and power settings by temporarily connecting to a wifi hotspot on their phone while setting up the remote.

I'm not sure why this would work, but I suspect a connection coming into Roku from a phone connection may go to a different server at Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: On/off no longer working, settings say tv cannot be used with roku remote

A few years ago my ISP rolled out their “Advanced Security” which seems to mostly consist of blacklists loaded in to their rental routers.  I have seen many complaints on their forum about that not allowing people to access sites that the users believe are entirely legit and safe. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was something like that going on in cases like these.

0 Kudos