Remotes

Learn how to reset a Roku remote, how a Roku remote works, or pair a new remote.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Trob2372

My Roku Remote Keeps Scrolling

My remote is able to move fine through apps, but whats I am in the app it keeps scrolling through movies. Also through the letters as I search. How do I fix this? 

111 REPLIES 111
willowstop

Re: My Roku Remote Keeps Scrolling

Same here, my ROKU remote is acting like it has a mind of its own. When I press the up & down arrows or the left & right arrows, it keeps scrolling, sometimes a couple of spaces, sometimes several to quite a few spaces, instead of stopping when I lift my finger up from the arrow.

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@willowstop& @Trob2372 -

Try restarting your Roku. (Note that if yours is a Roku TV with "Fast start" enabled, turning it off and back on just puts it into and out of a standby state and does NOT give you a complete restart.)

Depending on your Roku model and Roku version number you'll find the "System restart" option under "Settings > System > Power" or if not there, under "Settings > System".

If a restart doesn't do it, or if you don't have sufficient control with the remote to navigate the Roku menus, you can also restart by pulling the power plug to the Roku for a few seconds then plugging it back in and waiting for it to restart.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Ultra 4800 | Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
Bluya76
Channel Surfer

That doesn't work for me. I've done a hard restart on all three of my affected devices. 

This is my post from a similar thread with many having this issue.

"Same issue here, but on 3 different roku platforms' remotes. A Roku Ultra, Roku TV, and a Roku Soundbar. Ultra is really bad. So bad trying to type logins to streaming apps is impossible. The other 2 it's skipping every couple of pressed while going through the apps or shows to watch. Doesn't matter which app. Definitely a software issue and needs fixing asap!"

thos1971

same thing with mine.

Tilbert
Reel Rookie

I had this same problem.  I tried different remotes and that didn't fix the problem.  I unplugged the Roku unit and left it off for about 30 minutes.  When I plugged it back in the problem was gone. YMMV.

Dynawd94
Binge Watcher

All 3 of my Roku remotes were having the same issue of scrolling by themselves.  I did a restart on all 3 and it works for me.

obx-robin

Yes! Just started last week and it's happening on ALL THREE of my Roku devices. 

obx-robin

Exactly! I've done all of the resets, new batteries, etc.  This absolutely has to be something in the software that just happened recently.  I'm just like you -- three different Roku devices, three different brands of TVs, same problem on all three.  It's an issue in all of the apps too.

Dynawd94
Binge Watcher

I did a restart on each of my TV 's and they all are operating correctly.