Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10

Roku remote now controlling my Apple TV box. Help

Why is my RokuTv remote controlling my Apple TV box? How do I stop it from controlling the Apple TV? 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Roku remote now controlling my Apple TV box. Help

Your Roku remote is emitting IR codes when a button is pressed. It sounds like the Apple TV has an IR receiver on the case, and that they must use similar codes. I'm pretty sure the Apple TV remote doesn't use IR (can it control the device if you cover it so it can't "see" the case?), so you can probably block the Apple TV case so the Roku remote can't see it. IR is line of sight, so if they can't see each other, they shouldn't interact.

I have a Sharp Roku TV, and also have a Vizio TV in the same room. I can control either TV with either remote, so they obviously have similar IR codes as well. I block the IR receiver on the Vizio TV (it's used as a computer monitor so doesn't need to be controlled), so the Roku remote doesn't impact it.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Apple tv boxes have feature where you can teach any IR command to it so from then on it responds to those commands. Was this a used apple tv? Roku tv use's a very command IR code sets that could match what has been taught to it? Look and see if you can reset the apple tv to clear these commands? 

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

No I never taught the Apple TV to use my Roku remote. I tired unpairing the Roku remote. Now when I am viewing something on the Apple TV and I want to check my picture settings on the Roku remote the remote will take me out of whatever I am watching on Apple TV and it’s an annoying. How do I fix this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

CEC needs to be disabled on your Roku remote to avoid this issue. Go to the Roku home screen and press home 5 times, rewind, down, fast forward, down, rewind. This will bring up the Roku menu for enabling/disabling the CEC feature of your remote control. Roku or apple made some sort of change recently that broke functionality with the apple tv.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@lamb0985 wrote:

CEC needs to be disabled on your Roku remote to avoid this issue. Go to the Roku home screen and press home 5 times, rewind, down, fast forward, down, rewind. This will bring up the Roku menu for enabling/disabling the CEC feature of your remote control. Roku or apple made some sort of change recently that broke functionality with the apple tv.

If it's CEC, you can just disable that in the main Roku settings menu. Just turn One-Touch off. No need to enter one of the secret menus. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Reread what the OP is describing. The issue is that their Roku remote is controlling their apple tv when it didn't before. The CEC setting you're referring to is for one touch play/power on and off functionality. The CEC setting I'm referring to is to disable the Roku remote from controlling external devices like the apple tv with the Roku remote.

0 Kudos
Level 21

@lamb0985 wrote:

Reread what the OP is describing. The issue is that their Roku remote is controlling their apple tv when it didn't before. The CEC setting you're referring to is for one touch play/power on and off functionality. The CEC setting I'm referring to is to disable the Roku remote from controlling external devices like the apple tv with the Roku remote.

The Roku remotes that can control other devices are not using CEC. They use IR, and to my understanding they are only capable of controlling TV sets, not other devices such as an Apple TV, AVR or sound bar. Your mention of CEC doesn't have anything to do with IR control, with the possible exception that Roku might have tied their IR device support to the same setting. But that doesn't address the issue that they don't support controlling anything but TV sets. 

https://support.roku.com/article/115013019828

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Maybe OP has a Roku TV like I do with the enhanced remote, which would explain why what I'm describing would fix their issue. With the enhanced Roku remote you can enable HDMI CEC control to allow you to control any other device through CEC. I used this feature for my shield and apple TV so that i wouldn't have to juggle using three different remotes. Recently, Roku or apple changed something with the remote commands that caused the options button to also signal the home screen command on the apple tv (which to me is what the OP is describing as their issue). 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@lamb0985 wrote:

Maybe OP has a Roku TV like I do with the enhanced remote, which would explain why what I'm describing would fix their issue. With the enhanced Roku remote you can enable HDMI CEC control to allow you to control any other device through CEC. I used this feature for my shield and apple TV so that i wouldn't have to juggle using three different remotes. Recently, Roku or apple changed something with the remote commands that caused the options button to also signal the home screen command on the apple tv (which to me is what the OP is describing as their issue). 

Yes, I use CEC myself with my Ultra to control the volume on my Yamaha AVR. But that's solely via CEC, which is a signal that passes over HDMI. It does not go over the air in any way. Now I'm not dismissing that something might have changed in the Apple TV OS that could have it now registering the IR from the Roku remote. Roku doesn't generally issue firmware updates to the remotes, so I can't see how they might have changed the way the remote works. Since they want their remotes to be compatible with all their IR capable devices, I can't see them changing the IR codes used. 

As a test, the OP could put some dark tape over the end of the Roku remote (or just cover it with their hand) and see if it still does something to the Apple TV. Unless the remote is using WiFi Direct to the Roku TV, it likely won't control the TV either. But we're trying to troubleshoot the effect on the Apple TV, so it's fine for a test. 

Dan
0 Kudos