Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HelpMeRahku
Level 7

Roku Ultra 4k - Remote disconnects overnight

I am having a strange issue with my roku ultra remote. I've had the device for about a month now, prior to this I had the roku 3 which never had this issue. Basically overnight the remote some how unpairs. The only way to pair the remote again is to do a full device restart then hold down the pairing button on the remote. Using the phone app does work however. I've tried changing the batteries but that didnt help. I'm using a wired connection so I'm too sure if this could be wifi interfering. Has anyone seen this before?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
HelpMeRahku
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra 4k - Remote disconnects overnight

What is interesting is this problem seems a. It widespread across multiple devices. I don't think it's related to wifi interference as the device is wired.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

The remote does use Wi-Fi, even if the player itself is plugged into Ethernet. Depending on your particular location, there might be other Wi-Fi signals interfering. I can't offer any particular solution. I have a wireless router only a few feet away from my Ultra but don't have any interference issues. But there has been others reporting here on the forum about remote disconnect issues.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
HelpMeRahku
Level 7

Thanks for the info. I plugged in my older roku in the same location and that one doesn't seem to have the issue. I'm all out of options here..
0 Kudos
WildElf
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
I can't offer any particular solution.

I've got the same problem as the OP. As mentioned by the OP, the location is constant between a working state and disconnect. Also, there is no problem pairing the device in the same location that it fails. Time is the problem variable, not location. The remote works perfectly for some period of time. It seems to lose connection when the Roku goes into sleep/saver mode. I've had the remote disconnect from the base during the day, of sporadic usage. Overnight is sure to kill it. I might try leaving the remote directly on the Roku overnight to be certain, but currently the location where I pair it, use it, and leave it overnight to have it fail is the same cubic foot.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

"HelpMeRahku" wrote:
Thanks for the info. I plugged in my older roku in the same location and that one doesn't seem to have the issue. I'm all out of options here..

Your Ultra might be using a 5Ghz connection, whereas your Roku 3 might be using a 2.4Ghz connection.. can you verify which network your Ultra and your R3 connect to?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
azurenepsa
Level 8

I've also experienced the remote disconnecting from my wired Ultra (4640R) overnight for the past three nights.  I have to power cycle the Ultra so the remote will repair.  I did a factory reset today to see if that might help.  Even if the reset seems to help, I'd be afraid the problem would reoccur, so I'll be returning the Ultra.  The remote is model RC98, firmware 2.01.18.120.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

One thing with an Ultra. It is capable of working with an IR remote, so you could get an inexpensive universal remote and give it a try. You would lose the headphone function, but could resolve your connection issues. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
tophis
Level 7

I have two Ultra 4K and both have the same remote issue.  I would try using the remote after a week without reseting and it would work and then not work again the next day...weird.  I mainly use the android app as a remote but it's not as convenient as the handheld remote.  Hopefully a fix is coming. 
0 Kudos