Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
atc98092
Level 16

Roku TV remote controlling Vizio TV and vice versa

Jump to solution

I just moved back home from my detail in DC, and brought my new Sharp Roku TV home with me. I set it up in my den, which also happens to have a Vizio TV (not a Roku TV). While the Roku TV was playing, I grabbed the Vizio remote to change the input it was using, and suddenly the Roku TV began changing settings. How on earth is a Vizio remote controlling the Roku TV, and why is the Roku remote controlling the Vizio? Neither set was connected to each other at any time, so there's been no way for the Roku remote to "learn" to control the Vizio. The Sharp seems to use IR only, since I can block the IR emitter on the remote and can't control the TV. 
It looks like it's simply a matter of the IR beam being scattered enough that the Vizio remote is triggering the Sharp. Any possible way to change the codes the Sharp uses, or perchance any way to change the Vizio codes?

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Level 14

Re: Roku TV remote controlling Vizio TV and vice versa

Jump to solution

Roku TV's when first released didn't use a new IR code set, they used very old one, in fact two very old codes. Some used what the tv's in this thread are using a code Goldstar first used in the 80's. And Vizio has used since they were released. Other brands of Roku tv like TCL and Insignia used a code set Admiral first used in the 90's. Another problem is some models of Roku tv have been upgraded to respond to both of these code sets, not very smart. You have out there Sony code set, Samsung code, Panasonic code, and Toshiba code set. The rest of the brands out there use the two IR code sets that Roku tv has taken to using.

Anyways you can't prevent the Non-Roku tv remote from controlling the Roku Tv. But if you were to get a wifi remote and pair it to your roku tv, the remote wouldn't send IR commands any longer and so no conflict with vizio tv.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Pretzel
Level 7

Jump to solution
Did you ever find get the two remote to stop controlling the others TV? I have the exact same problem. Although the IR beam is not scattering, the remote can directly control each other’s TV.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 14

Jump to solution

Roku TV's when first released didn't use a new IR code set, they used very old one, in fact two very old codes. Some used what the tv's in this thread are using a code Goldstar first used in the 80's. And Vizio has used since they were released. Other brands of Roku tv like TCL and Insignia used a code set Admiral first used in the 90's. Another problem is some models of Roku tv have been upgraded to respond to both of these code sets, not very smart. You have out there Sony code set, Samsung code, Panasonic code, and Toshiba code set. The rest of the brands out there use the two IR code sets that Roku tv has taken to using.

Anyways you can't prevent the Non-Roku tv remote from controlling the Roku Tv. But if you were to get a wifi remote and pair it to your roku tv, the remote wouldn't send IR commands any longer and so no conflict with vizio tv.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Jump to solution

@Pretzel wrote:
Did you ever find get the two remote to stop controlling the others TV? I have the exact same problem. Although the IR beam is not scattering, the remote can directly control each other’s TV.

No, as mentioned below there's no way to stop the remote from controlling both devices. My workaround is to block the IR receiver on the TV I use as a computer monitor, as I never want it to change anyway. A small but heavy piece of paper, such as a business card, taped over the IR sensor works fine. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Jump to solution

@Tivoburkee wrote:

Yeah, kind of figured that was it. I don't know if this specific Roku TV supports a WiFi remote, but it isn't critical enough to spend the money. I've just blocked the IR sensor on the Vizio set. Since I use it as a computer monitor it's always on and never needs to be adjusted, that's an acceptable workaround. And, it doesn't cost anything. Smiley Happy

Dan
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 14

Jump to solution

If you go into the menu of roku tv and under remote you find a pairing option, then that tv can be controlled by wifi remote. If it doesn't have the option, then it can't.

0 Kudos