Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku Remote Stopped Controlling Power on/off & volume after OS 9.3 update

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the information.

If you are having experiencing issues regarding your remote no longer being able to control the TV power or volume after the recent update, we would recommend tying to set up your remote to control your TV by:
Settings -> Remotes & devices -> Remotes -> Remote (In use) -> Set up remote for TV control

For more information about setting up your TV controls with your remote, visit our Support page here: How do I set up my Roku® enhanced remote to control my TV?

Please feel free to PM with the following information:
-your Roku account email
-Roku device model and serial number (found in Settings > System > About)
-what software version build your device is on (found in Settings > System > About)
-what brand TV are you experiencing this issue
-did setting up your remote to your TV again recommended above resolve your issue?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Roku Remote Stopped Controlling Power on/off & volume after OS 9.3 update

Jump to solution

Seriously Danny. Cut it out. Stop pasting the same thing here. Obviously we've all tried that.

Highlighted
Level 7

Cannot control TV with Ultra since software update May 5, 2020.

Jump to solution

I was able to control my Samsung TV power and audio prior to the May 5 update. Now they do not work and after resetting both the Roku and the remote none of the TV codes will control the TV

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Power and Volume not responding.

Jump to solution

If you have a sound bar or sound system attached to your Roku and TV, you will need to disconnect the sound system and attach the Roku directly to the TV.  Go through the remote control setup and you should be fine.  After that, hook everything back up and it should work.  It did for me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Sharp TV can Not Get Remote To Adjust Sound

Jump to solution

The Roku IR remote had been working properly with my Sharp TV until a recent update and the sound and on off functions stopped working. I tried all suggested methods and now there seemed to be less codes when I went to update using Sharp as my TV type. I read online that Hisense bought all Sharp assets through an acquisition, so effectively Sharp went out of business. Once I set up the remote using Hisense TV type, it worked perfectly. All remote functions now working.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

This doesn’t work, any other suggestions? The hard reset... the unplugging and re-paring the remote doesn’t work. The restoring to factory defaults doesn’t work. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

UPDATE - Hello everyone... I posted previously on this issue and all the different ways that I attempted to get my Roku Ultra remote's power & volume buttons to function again with no success. I reached out to Roku's customer service maybe a week ago via email and Sam was especially helpful. Naturally I was sent an article suggesting a method that didn't work for me so they ended up sending me a new remote that I received today. I honestly didn't think I would get it so fast but so far it has been working beautifully. It even has a mute button and a shortcut button for Disney+... which my 4-year old Disney-loving daughter was super excited about. 

I literally spent about 2 days trying to get my original remote to work - going through the different methods several times, changing the batteries 3 times... silently hoping it would magically fix itself overnight because it wasn't even a year old. I attempted seeing if any updates would fix it.  Nothing. I believe whatever update they may have done, created the issue with the remotes not working with some TV's. Complete glitch-fest.

I understand everyone's aggravation. With the COVID-19 and the lay-offs & furloughs, we've found that we are watching more content as I can imagine lots of others are doing the same. So my suggestion is this: scroll to the very bottom of this page until you see the link "contact us" and send them a note (under company). Detail to them every method you have used, your Roku product & TV type and hopefully they can help you too. 

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku remote won’t power tv on/off and won’t control volume

Jump to solution

I am having the same issue. My roku remote used to control the tv volume and power on/off, but now it no longer does so. it still works to control the roku itself. there are no new obstructions. I havent updated the tv, its an outdoor SunBrite tv. Please help!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Remote Volume Control Stopped Controlling Home Theatre Volume

Jump to solution

Simply not true. My Roku remote was controlling my Sony sound bar volume ever since I purchased a Roku. Suddenly it won’t anymore and says it can only control the TV volume which does not help me since I do not use TV speaker. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku remote won’t power tv on/off and won’t control volume

Jump to solution

And I did try to reprogram the remote per the recommendations and went through all 50 channels and it wouldn't turn the sound off...

0 Kudos