Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shawn85206
Level 7

Replacement Remote for Roku2 (2720x)

I'm going in circles here. Looking for a replacement remote WITH the headphone jack, but don't see any offered anywhere. Anyone know the model number for the appropriate remote? Everything i see on Amazon is sans the jack, we got this model specifically because of the headphone jack. The Roku website isn't any help and I'm suspecting that the Roku3 remote won't work?
Tia,Shawn

0 Kudos
7 Replies
dfgsrzwer
Level 8

Re: Replacement Remote for Roku2 (2720x)

It's probably out of production (the 2720 was discontinued 2 years ago). If you can't find it on Amazon, you could try a less popular site (like ebay). But if it's not on Amazon, it may be a while looking for it.

The reason why you can find remotes without the jack easily is because they are all interchangeable with any IR Roku.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos
twiceover
Level 11

Basil:The model 2720 was launched in March 2013 and discontinued in April 2015. The new ones came with a WiFi remote with headphones. Had both HDMI and composite connections. Wireless only; no LAN port. It was a slightly souled-up Roku 1. It's similar in responsiveness to the Roku HDMI Streaming Stick.

The model 4210 was launched in April 2015. It is currently in production. It comes with a standard IR remote. It has a LAN port. HDMI only. It's essentially a Roku 3, with a standard remote; you can add a Roku 3 remote to it.

If you have a 2720, it's a slower device than the Roku 3. If you have a 4210, you will see no responsive or performance increase with a Roku 3; you're already there.

If that is the case, then the Roku3 Remote should work with it.  I'd check with RokuShawnS 
And here's where I begin my rant about Roku product names.  There's at least 5 "2" models, 3 "3" models, And now E, E+, P, P+, U, Stick...  Just make 3 models and be done with all of this silliness.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"twiceover" wrote:

Basil:The model 2720 was launched in March 2013 and discontinued in April 2015. The new ones came with a WiFi remote with headphones. Had both HDMI and composite connections. Wireless only; no LAN port. It was a slightly souled-up Roku 1. It's similar in responsiveness to the Roku HDMI Streaming Stick.

The model 4210 was launched in April 2015. It is currently in production. It comes with a standard IR remote. It has a LAN port. HDMI only. It's essentially a Roku 3, with a standard remote; you can add a Roku 3 remote to it.

If you have a 2720, it's a slower device than the Roku 3. If you have a 4210, you will see no responsive or performance increase with a Roku 3; you're already there.

If that is the case, then the Roku3 Remote should work with it.  I'd check with RokuShawnS 
And here's where I begin my rant about Roku product names.  There's at least 5 "2" models, 3 "3" models, And now E, E+, P, P+, U, Stick...  Just make 3 models and be done with all of this silliness.

I agree with you about the former naming convention, using the same "name" on completely different units. But the current names are not duplicated, and the + on the end does note some real differences. However, they have stuck with the name "Stick" with three different versions, and they again are causing confusion when people ask for help. If keeping the name Stick is so important to someone, then put a version number on the end. My Stick (3600) should be StickV3.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
buckalew
Level 7

I have to have a remote for my roku get it set up and I looked it up and they have them on Google Play If you have a smartphone
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

"buckalew" wrote:
I have to have a remote for my roku get it set up and I looked it up and they have them on Google Play If you have a smartphone

An app on a phone or tablet will only work for a Roku that is hard wired to a network. For a Stick or other Roku without an Ethernet jack, you can't use an app until the Roku is connected to a network, and you can't do that without a functional remote. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Surfgirljami
Level 7

Did anyone ever find a remote Replacement compatible with Roku 2 with headphone jack? I'm also spinning wheels here - help!
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

@Surfgirljami wrote:
Did anyone ever find a remote Replacement compatible with Roku 2 with headphone jack? I'm also spinning wheels here - help!

According to the Wiki page, the 2720 Roku 2 is compatible with remotes with a headphone jack. But there are other models also labeled as a Roku 2 that do not support it. So first make sure exactly which model Roku 2 you have. 

Dan
0 Kudos