Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Remote with Sony theater system

Jump to solution

I understand from talking with support that a configuration that I have working shouldn't work.  I have a Samsung TV and Sony home theater.  The Roku remote turns on the TV and the home theater and it controls the volume on the home theater.  I have a similar setup in another room.  Worked the same.  Until last week.  Now the Roku remote will only turn on the TV and will not turn on the home theater or control volume if I turn it on manually.  

Re-pairing the remote doesn't fix it.  I'm curious how both worked out of the box but now one of them doesn't.  Since it's "unsupported" I know I can have no true expectation of getting it working again, but what has me puzzled is that it worked before and nothing has changed (no software updates to home theater or TV).  And it still works on my other similar setup.

Looking to see if anyone else has this working and if there are any tricks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Remote with Sony theater system

Jump to solution

I got it working.  I followed these steps.

1. turned off HDMI-CEC on the TV
  2. Turned off ARC on the HT
  3. powered off both and unplugged power
  4. unplugged the ARC HDMI cable
  5. Powered on TV
  6. Powered on HT
  7. Plugged in the ARC cable - TV detected HT as Bluray
  8. Turned on HDMI-CEC on the TV and ARC on the HT
  9. Unplugged ARC HDMI cable and plugged it back in. TV detected HT as HT
  10. Checked the audio output on the TV, it was set to optical, changed to receiver
  11. Tested ok, on button on Roku remote turns on TV and HT and Roku remote controls volume on HT as well.

For all I know #10 was the fix

With this I learn that it is the TV that turns on the HT, not the Roku remote - it just talks to the TV.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 17

Jump to solution

The tv on/off and volume control is done via infrared signals from the remote, beamed at the tv. If this also controls the Sony home theater either:

1. The Sony is responding directly to the same IR signal (unlikely as the Sony most likely has completely different control codes), or
  2. The tv is controlling the Sony via HDMI-CEC control.

I'd suggest checking your tv to see if the HDMI-CEC capability has been disabled.  Different tv manufacturers have their own name for this function; Samsung calls it Anynet+.

See this article from tomsguide.com for further info on Samsung Anynet+: www.tomsguide.com/us/samsung-tv-settings-guide,review-4663-15.html.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply.  I confirmed that HDMI-CEC is enabled on the TV.  Baffling.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

Is there an option in the sony menu refresh the hdmi-cec devices attached to the sony?

Edmund
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I got it working.  I followed these steps.

1. turned off HDMI-CEC on the TV
  2. Turned off ARC on the HT
  3. powered off both and unplugged power
  4. unplugged the ARC HDMI cable
  5. Powered on TV
  6. Powered on HT
  7. Plugged in the ARC cable - TV detected HT as Bluray
  8. Turned on HDMI-CEC on the TV and ARC on the HT
  9. Unplugged ARC HDMI cable and plugged it back in. TV detected HT as HT
  10. Checked the audio output on the TV, it was set to optical, changed to receiver
  11. Tested ok, on button on Roku remote turns on TV and HT and Roku remote controls volume on HT as well.

For all I know #10 was the fix

With this I learn that it is the TV that turns on the HT, not the Roku remote - it just talks to the TV.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos