Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
jbsjbs
Level 7

Re: Private listening audio drop-outs with the remote on 5GHz?

Out of curiosity I've been experimenting with a few different scenarios today and here's what I've found:

1. The 2017 Ultra has the audio drops even if used with the Roku3 remote. I've only used the Ultra hardwired

2. The 2017 Streaming Stick (3800) doesn't come with a headphone jack in the remote, but when I PAIR it with the Roku3's remote the audio hasn't dropped a single time in several hours (the Ultra drops every 10~15 minutes)

3. I'll next try the 2017 Streaming Stick with the Ultra's remote
0 Kudos
Highlighted
beq
Level 9

^ Interesting that the 2017 HD Stick (3800) does support the remote headphone jack (when paired with such a remote), in addition to the mobile app private listening.  I just confirmed this too with the new Sticks I purchased.  The 4K Stick+ (3810) also tested to work.

In contrast, the 2016 HD Stick (3600) was previously downgraded (with OS 7.5?) to remove the remote headphone jack support.  Even after updating the 3600 to OS 8.0, it still does not support any remote headphone jack.  Your only private listening choice is using the mobile app.

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 08#p552320
0 Kudos
Highlighted
beq
Level 9

With my issue, I was getting the remote headphone audio drop-outs randomly every few secs, with the new hardware on 5GHz Wi-Fi (while using high-powered Asus AC routers with custom firmware, and with the Roku's attached vertically to back of TV).  I, too experienced the issue regardless whether I was using the bundled 2017 remote or paired with an old Roku 3 remote.  The original Roku 3 players were the only ones that didn't have the issue.

But I just did a quick test changing some of my own router's Wi-Fi settings (especially for the 5GHz band).  Turned off some performance tuning parameters and boost options.  Also rebooted the router a couple of times to see it auto-select different channels from before.

And lo and behold, things are much better after re-testing a 2017 player and a 2017 Roku TV!  No more frequent audio drops from headphone jack Smiley Very Happy

I'm lazy so probably good enough for now, but things I could experiment with next:

- more router tinkering
- try a 5GHz DFS channel (does Roku support DFS?)
- try Ethernet again (after my house renovation is done)
- lay Roku player down in front of TV (in case there's some metal obstruction behind TV)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jbsjbs
Level 7

"beq" wrote:
^ Interesting that the 2017 HD Stick (3800) does support the remote headphone jack (when paired with such a remote), in addition to the mobile app private listening.  I just confirmed this too with the new Sticks I purchased.  The 4K Stick+ (3810) also tested to work.

In contrast, the 2016 HD Stick (3600) was previously downgraded (with OS 7.5?) to remove the remote headphone jack support.  Even after updating the 3600 to OS 8.0, it still does not support any remote headphone jack.  Your only private listening choice is using the mobile app.

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 08#p552320

Yes, this annoyed me greatly when they did it. The private listening via the app has always been next to useless for my needs but I used the 3600 with a headphone jack remote and then one day it stopped working. The tech support folks claimed it never worked in the first place and that I must have been imagining the three months I spent using it that way.  Smiley Sad
If they decide to cripple the 3800 as well then back it goes.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
BobRoberts
Level 7

Has there been any definitive solution to this? My Ultra has exhibited the same problem from day one. Nothing I've done has worked. TIA
0 Kudos
Highlighted
pakrat12
Level 7

Solved my private listening audio drop-outs. I recently bought a Roku Ultra and hardwired it to my router (Netgear AC1750). I experienced audio drop-outs/stuttering since day 1. I've had a Roku 3 for several years, but didn't use private listening on it, and was going to test it today. But, this morning, I decided to test the Ultra on 5GHz, instead of wired, and that has solved my audio drop-outs. Apparently, there is an audio sync problem when the Ultra is wired and the remote is wireless.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
amh15
Level 7

2019. I've always had an unusable level of dropouts on my roku 3 at home when on 2.4GHz. It's better on 5GHz, but still often poor, and I think this relates purely to the band being busy. The main thing that seems to help is moving the router to a specific piece of the 5GHz spectrum that's less congested. I also have a roku express and I find the private listening (with the app) much better, and usable on 2.4GHz, though some level of dropouts is still sometimes present.

0 Kudos