Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steve12345
Level 7

IR remote pairing

Jump to solution

We lost our roku remote so we asked for and received 2 new roku IR remotes.  They will not pair with our roku stick.  We have replaced batteries and checked they work in other devices.  We have another roku for the basement and it works with the stick fine.  We contacted support and got a canned message that if we bought it through them they will replace within 30 days, otherwise good luck.  Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: IR remote pairing

Jump to solution

Roku IR remotes will absolutely not work with any Roku Stick. No IR sensor on the sticks, they only work with Wifi voice remotes, which is type of RF remote that goes through walls. The roku remote has to have pairing button in the battery compartment. 

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
Steve12345
Level 7

Jump to solution

Meant to say we received for christmas.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

Roku IR remotes will absolutely not work with any Roku Stick. No IR sensor on the sticks, they only work with Wifi voice remotes, which is type of RF remote that goes through walls. The roku remote has to have pairing button in the battery compartment. 

Edmund

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Steve12345
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for response.  Maybe I was using wrong term.  Our roku device is a small (3 inch) black device.  The remote we have that does work is an IR remote and does not have pairing.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

A roku stick has a hdmi connector permanently attached no need a for a hdmi cable. Where the roku express or premiere are slender boxes that accept a hdmi cable and IR. The replacement remotes describe them do they have roku tv written on them? Do they have tv power and volume keys on them? A roku IR remote just works no pairing needed. But a Roku tv IR remotes are worthless on stand alone roku like the express and premiere. 

Edmund

0 Kudos