Remotes & Accessories

Help with Roku remotes and accessories, including pairing a remote, setting up TV power & volume control, using voice commands, power adapters, cables, headphones, and wireless speaker accessories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
geeyoff
Level 7

Enhanced remote won't control volume on optical-connected soundbar

Hi. I have a soundbar (Q Acoustics M4) connected by optical cable to the tv (Sony Bravia KDL-46EX500). I'm using a Roku Ultra. The volume keys on my Roku enhanced remote will only control the tv's volume, never the soundbar's volume. I've gone through the Roku's "Set up remote for TV control" menu, and none of the remote codes make the test music stop playing. I've also gone into the Roku's secret menu and fiddled with the options under "RF Remote Menu," albeit rather cluelessly. No dice. Does anybody have any suggestions? 

My soundbar's manual says that it uses the Phillips RC5 protocol so as to allow programmable remotes to control it. Is there any way to manually program the volume keys on my Roku remote? Any/all suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Tivoburkee
Level 10

Re: Enhanced remote won't control volume on optical-connected soundbar

Roku volume keys only control tvs via IR, it might control the SB by hdmi cec. 
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

My Ultra 4640 doesn't have IR control for other devices, but it does control the volume of my Yamaha AVR via CEC. My guess is it doesn't try to control the TV audio because it connects to the AVR first. Now of course he can't control the soundbar via CEC because there's only an optical connection from the TV. I'm assuming the soundbar doesn't have any HDMi connections itself. So unfortunately, there's no way to control the soundbar with a Roku remote. See this page for the complete info, but here's the important section:

Can I use my Roku enhanced remote to control other devices?

Your Roku enhanced remote is designed to control volume and power for your TV. It cannot directly control other devices connected to your TV, such as an audio/video receiver (AVR) or soundbar.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

Must be connected with HDMI CEC for the Roku remote to control the soundbar volume It will not work with an optical connection.
0 Kudos
geeyoff
Level 7

Thanks for the helpful responses, everyone. I guess my only option is to buy an alternative remote.

That's too bad that the buttons on the Roku remote can't be reprogrammed. That sort of technology is so old, so basic. Oh well.
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 10

As for universal, I have been using lately the One for All urc7935 streamer remote, it can control  tv, streamer and sound bar using one device. its IR only, backlit remote. it goes $25 on line, but there are three ebay sellers with bunch of open box models for $10 and under with free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/One-For-All-Universal-Remote-Streaming-Control-3-Devices-Stream-Box-TV-Audi...
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"Tivoburkee" wrote:
As for universal, I have been using lately the One for All urc7935 streamer remote, it can control  tv, streamer and sound bar using one device. its IR only, backlit remote. it goes $25 on line, but there are three ebay sellers with bunch of open box models for $10 and under with free shipping.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/One-For-All-Universal-Remote-Streaming-Control-3-Devices-Stream-Box-TV-Audi...

Remotes like these are fine.. unless you also have satellite or cable.. you can buy remotes for around the same price that also have cable/sat functionality.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 10

I don't have sat or cable. For those who hate ch keys, this is learning remote so can teach it anything you want. This remote is also hackable via jp1.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=One+For+All+urc7880&_sacat=0

It accepts advanced codes for discrete commands like these available tcl roku tvs:

Using setup code 14398:

Fandango now 00019
SLINGTV 00017
VUDU 00146
Roku Media Player 00110
Amazon 00156
Netflix 00096
Youtube 00097
Cbs News 00090
Google Play 00099
Rdio 00189
HBO Now 00161