Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrokenEye
Level 9

Weird playback issues on Roku Express+

Finally switched from my old Roku 2 to my new Roku Express+, and I've encountered some strange playback issues when trying to watch a video. The quality of the AV connection itself seems fine, since the user interface displays correctly as far as I can tell (the app interfaces are very different from the ones on my Roku 2). At worst, the fonts and some of the cover photos are slightly out of focus, but it's not too noticeable. However, when I try to stream a video, the audio is muddy and at a much lower volume than what my TV is actually set to, the subtitles take up nearly half the screen regardless of my chosen settings, the video is often grainy, and occasionally I even encounter warbly downward-moving horizontal interference that reminds me more of an old CRT television with a bad picture than anything I ought to be encountering on any present day TV. Again, this only happens when I'm actually streaming something. Normally the picture is fine.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6\
Karmagedon
Level 10

Re: Weird playback issues on Roku Express+

Have you try change audio and display type?  Not sure what model tv you have but some older hdmi may not be proporly detected.  

Try these things:

- go to settings, then display and instead of auto-detect, select another one and try to see if your playback video is better.  you can always go back to auto-detect afterward.

- go to settings, then audio and change your audio mode to stereo and hdmi to pcm-stereo.  this is to testing, you can change back later

BrokenEye
Level 9

My display type is already manually set to widescreen. Auto-detect isn't even listed as an option.

Your audio fix seems to have worked at least a little, though. It doesn't seem muddy anymore and is a bit louder, but it's still awfully quiet.

0 Kudos
Karmagedon
Level 10

hmm, stranger and stranger... what software version is tv on?  

0 Kudos
BrokenEye
Level 9

Not sure. How would I find that out?

0 Kudos
Karmagedon
Level 10

sorry i mean the roku device.  go to system then settings then about screen.  you should see the version there.  

0 Kudos
BrokenEye
Level 9

That's okay. I knew what you meant. I just didn't know where it was located.

Let's see, it says that it is... version 9.2.0, build 4806-51

0 Kudos