Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chubbycheese
Level 7

Video keeps going black

My Roku Ultra video keeps going black periodically. I've had it happen once every hour-ish to happening multiple times in 15 seconds. When this happens the audio keeps going. Not sure how long it's been happening but it's been at least 6 months. 

Anyone else have this issue?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Video keeps going black

First suggestion is to try a different HDMI cable. Also try a different input on the TV, assuming you have more than one. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
debjax
Level 7

Same here, when the screen "comes back" there is a gray bar across top displaying the resolution. On all my Rokus using multiple networks and different televisions. It is definitely the Roku devices.
0 Kudos
debjax
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
First suggestion is to try a different HDMI cable. Also try a different input on the TV, assuming you have more than one. 

Six different Roku devices, six different televisions, six different HDMI cables, all do the same thing. Pretty certain it's the Rokus that have the issue. Also, several of the Rokus have been in use for more than one or two years with no issues, all now started doing it a few months ago at the same time.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"debjax" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:

Six different Roku devices, six different televisions, six different HDMI cables, all do the same thing. Pretty certain it's the Rokus that have the issue. Also, several of the Rokus have been in use for more than one or two years with no issues, all now started doing it a few months ago at the same time.

When you say "six different HDMI" cables do you mean "six individual cables that are the exact same brand and model" or "six individual HDMI cables that are of different brands and models". You may be using junky HDMI cables across the board. I'm not saying you need $30 (or more) cables, but maybe try various different cables, and make they're made for 4K.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

I use Amazon Basics HDMI cables, and they are very inexpensive. Worked great on my Ultra and 4K TV, and still working fine with my Shield on the same TV. The Ultra is now on an old plasma set with an 8 year old cable, also still no issue. But they can be highly sensitive to the cable quality. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos