Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Version 9.2.0 Build 4750-46 has serious handshake issue with 4K-60HZ, when connected to AVR’s.

Jump to solution

I have seven Roku’s in my house, which two are recent 4670X(2019) Ultra Purchases back in mid-October, replacing 4630X’s Premiere+’s that I had in the same room’s connected to the same equipment.  The new Ultra’s were purchases and installed prior to v9.2 being released, so I know they worked with the same equipment of these last few weeks without until the last two 9.2 builds were released, especially this last release.  When turning on the Roku Ultra in with the Home Theater or family room which are both connected through an Yamaha AVR, it seems the Roku home screen is sending 1080p, even though the Roku’s home screen is set to auto  display and detects 4K/60HZ and should be trying to send that.  In both rooms, I get just the blank screen or the AVR screen, but not the Roku home screen or any signal from the Roku being based through.

Previously if this occurred when switching inputs on the AVR, I could switch to the Dish input to another input on the AVR and switch back and the AVR would do the handshake again with the Roku and it would work.  Now that trick does seem to work.  The only solution seems to be to unplug the Roku and plug it back in each time to start to display the home menu and have it function normally until you turn off the TV and AVR the next time.

I’ve tried the 4K screensaver option that some have suggested to see if that help send a signal but that didn’t help.  I changed my AVR to do video processing vs. direct, but that didn’t make a difference.

Family Room Equipment:

• Roku 4670X / Previously Roku 4630X (Premeire+) used on all this same equipment
  • LG UH7700 65’ Latest Firmware
  • Yamaha Aventage RX-A1060 - Allow passthrough

Home Theater:

• Roku 4670X / Previously Roku 4630X (Premeire+) used on all this same equipment
  • Optoma UHD65 Projector
  • Yamaha Aventage RX-A3060
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Version 9.2.0 Build 4750-46 has serious handshake issue with 4K-60HZ, when connected to AVR’s.

Jump to solution

Hi there, 

Thanks for the patience here while we've looked into the issue you reported. Please visit Settings>System>System update>Check now to check for a system update. This should help resolve the issue you were seeing. 

You'll also likely need to change your selection in Settings>Display type back to 'Auto-detect'. 

Please keep us posted! 

Thanks,

Tanner

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Re: Version 9.2.0 Build 4750-46 has serious handshake issue with 4K-60HZ, when connected to AVR’s.

Jump to solution

Hi Tanner,

I can report that since updating my 4670X to the latest firmware released tonight from 4750-46 to 9.2.0 - 4806-46 and setting by display type back to auto detect that the latest firmware has seemed to correct the issue previously caused by the prior update.

My LG TV and Yamaha AVR are still in their original state prior to the firmware update as I did not change any of their settings:  They are basically set as the following:

LG HDMI set for Ultra HD Deep Color

Yamaha AVR set to Mode 1 for 4K - Input/Output 4K /60Hz signals in 4:4:4, 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 format.

So far so good.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Just bought 3 Roku Ultras when they were on sale for $48 on Amazon for Black Friday.  Two of them are plugged into older 1080p TVs (LG and Sony Bravia).  Unfortunately it looks like the Ultra connected to my 4K HDR TV in the living room seems to be having the blank screen issue.  I have the following setup:

Roku: Roku Ultra 4670R
TV: Sony XBR65X930D (latest firmware)
AVR: Denon AVR-S720W (latest firmware)

Whenever I power off my entire system and power it back on I would get a blank screen and the TV complaining that there's no signal.  The AVR's LCD panel doesn't even show a PCM digital audio connection.  I would have to power on my 4K Blu-ray player and switch to that input on the AVR, and then switch back in order for the Roku to start working.  It may have something to do with the Automatic detection of the video at 4K HDR 60 Hz.  I have tried forcing it to 1080p or 4K 60 Hz (No HDR) and that seems to behave better.  Of course I bought the Roku for this TV so that it can take advantage of the HDR capabilities, so this workaround is unacceptable.  I'd really like to see a fix soon.

Tags (1)
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

add me to the list of F'd up roku ultra handshake issues.i get a blank screen when choosing roku source until i switch inputs multiple times or reboot roku to fix it.after spending hours trouble shooting and trying different hdmi cables my conclusion is that roku has a screwed up software version 9.2.i have 2 rokus and the one connected to my denon does not work.i even bought a 3rd roku and ended up with the same issue.setup is: roku 4670rw ultra>denon avrw8500h>samsung qn75q9fn connected with audioquest pearl hdmis(under 6') controlled by control4.i can get the roku to play 1080p with no issues if i set my denon(4k signal format setting)from enhanced to standard.but all my other 4k sources suffer the downgrade.

can we get an answer from roku that they know that there is a problem with their software and will be fixing the issue soon????

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I'm having the same types of issue recently.

The main Roku I use was a older 4660x connected to a Denon AVR-2300W, which was having the same type of behavior (blank screen on startup). I thought the Roku itself might be failing and just replaced it with a brand new 4670x, but it behaves the same. These problems were with both Rokus set for 4K/60Hz, HDR enabled with 4:2:2.

The older 4660x worked fine with these same settings for around a year, and started having issues the last couple weeks (I know the new 4670x is running 9.2.0, though I'm not 100% certain of the version on the older 4660x, though I update them often, so I would expect it was also recently updated). The Denon is running the latest firmware, though there has not been an update from Denon now for around a year now.

Lastly, I can almost certainly rule out HDMI cabling too. When I went to 4K I replaced all HDMI cables with the 18Gbps ones, and have even tried moving the new Roku between inputs and cables (both behave the same unfortunately.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I had the Roku specifically set to 4K 60 Hz (No HDR) the whole night.  I powered on my TV and AVR this morning and there wasn't any problem with the picture.  This is clearly an issue with having HDR enabled and the HDMI handshaking.  I opened up a support case with Roku, and I suggest you all do, too.  Just specify the make/model of your TVs and AVRs and maybe that will light a fire somewhere...

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

All: The problem is most concisely described as follows:

For (apparently) any Roku device running software version 9.2.0, the ONLY time the Roku device will reliably establish an HDMI connection with ANY port on ANY device is at Roku power up. If you switch inputs on your receiver (or TV) just for a second & switch back to Roku, another power reset of the Roku device will be required in order to reliably reestablish another HDMI connection. It's not clear whether the Roku devices are even attempting to negotiate an HDCP 2.2 handshake at any time other than power up. My guess is they are not.

Roku's Tanner tells me he has passed this information on to the development team. I hope he has communicated exactly what I describe above (because that is the information most likely to lead them to a solution).

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@LloydC wrote:

I had the Roku specifically set to 4K 60 Hz (No HDR) the whole night.  I powered on my TV and AVR this morning and there wasn't any problem with the picture.  This is clearly an issue with having HDR enabled and the HDMI handshaking.  I opened up a support case with Roku, and I suggest you all do, too.  Just specify the make/model of your TVs and AVRs and maybe that will light a fire somewhere...

LloydC: Please try this experiment -- once you have your Roku device operating normally, briefly switch the input on your AVR to any other device (even to an unused HDMI port) then switch back to your Roku input. My bet is, you will find your Roku no longer has an HDMI connection to your AVR and the only reliable way to restore that connection is to power reset the Roku device. Sometimes, power resetting the AVR may restore the HDMI connection (but, only rarely). See my previous comment for my conclusions as to the cause of all this.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

The Roku Ultra would only do the no signal thing if the display type was set to either Automatic or 4K HDR 60 Hz.  Switching to another active input on the AVR, like for our Oppo 4K Blu-ray player, was actually the workaround that I used to get the Roku to start displaying video again after the TV and AVR were powered on, without having to reboot anything.  

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@LloydC wrote:

The Roku Ultra would only do the no signal thing if the display type was set to either Automatic or 4K HDR 60 Hz.  Switching to another active input on the AVR, like for our Oppo 4K Blu-ray player, was actually the workaround that I used to get the Roku to start displaying video again after the TV and AVR were powered on, without having to reboot anything.  

LloydC: It does appear as though you are onto something.

On my Roku Ultra 4660X running 9.2.0/4750-46, I just manually set my "Display Type" to "4K at 60Hz HDCP2.2" (eliminating the HDR capability of my equipment) and, with entirely different but similarly capable equipment, I now get the same results you do -- my Roku device reestablishes the HDMI connection after I switch my AVR to another input (or to an unused HDMI port) and back to the Roku input.

So, yours is a nice workaround, so long as we do not want to use the HDR capabilities of our TVs. And, my workaround is nice when we do want to use the HDR capabilities of our TVs. But, neither workaround should be required.

It seems we both agree the root of the problem in 9.2.0 somehow revolves around failure to attempt or failure to complete the required HDCP 2.2 handshake protocols under certain circumstances. Hopefully Tanner is lurking about and will report this to the software developers.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

For (apparently) any Roku device running software version 9.2.0, the ONLY time the Roku device will reliably establish an HDMI connection with ANY port on ANY device is at Roku power up. If you switch inputs on your receiver (or TV) just for a second & switch back to Roku, another power reset of the Roku device will be required in order to reliably reestablish another HDMI connection. It's not clear whether the Roku devices are even attempting to negotiate an HDCP 2.2 handshake at any time other than power up. My guess is they are not.

I noticed one variation to this with my setup:

• With the older 4660x Ultra, this description matches what I was seeing exactly. The required reboots were one of the reasons why I was thinking the Roku might be failing.
  • However with the new 4670x Ultra, the behavior is slightly different. When I turn everything on under 9.2.0, I will still be greeted with a black screen (this part is the same). With the newer 4670x Roku though, flipping inputs on the Denon receiver away from the Roku and then back again brings up the screen correctly (no Roku reboot required anymore). This certainly was not the case with the older device though, as I agree that one (4660x) needed to be reboot every time to restore the display. I'm not sure if anyone else is seeing this behavior on the newer 4670x device?

On a side note, I changed the display type on the Roku to 4K/60hz (no HDR) and so far it seems to have worked around the issue as LloydC mentioned, so I would agree that the 9.2.0 problem seems very much related to having HDR enabled.