Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emshin
Level 7

TV is frozen on opening screen

My TV freezes on the opening/loading screen every time I turn it on. I’ve tried a factory reset of my TV to no avail. Any tips for fixing? Purchased in 2017. 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: TV is frozen on opening screen

How did you attempt the factory reset? It requires the reset button to be pressed a minimum of 30 seconds, regardless of what's happening on the screen. Any shorter time and the reset was not performed. 

Also, did you actually pull the power cord to do a cold start? Just using the power button on the remote does NOT actually turn the TV completely off. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Emshin
Level 7

Yes to both! I held down the reset button for the full time and it went back to the frozen screen. I also left it unplugged overnight and have the same issue. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@Emshin wrote:

Yes to both! I held down the reset button for the full time and it went back to the frozen screen. I also left it unplugged overnight and have the same issue. 

OK, worth a shot. I had a new Insignia Roku TV that was stuck in a loop after the initial firmware update, and I just returned it to Best Buy and got another. The second one has been fine for years. Sometimes there's just something wrong with them. Yours of course is several years old now, so no longer under warranty. I'm not certain there's anything further that can be attempted. We'll have to let @RokuDanny-R see if their technicians have any further ideas. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Emshin 

Thanks for the post.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku TV along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Mbauer2323
Level 7

Same issue started about a month ago. Roku controlled via control4 system. On startup Roku is frozen on either startup page or home screen. Remote via control4 nor Roku remote will start the system. Android App remote controls the system normally. Was there an update on the communications software? 

0 Kudos
Mooski
Level 7

I have the same problem as the lady above...tried everything my TV is only 3 years old and I don't have a warranty...I'm thankful for any advice or tricks of the trade sort a speak🙏

0 Kudos
carriefcr
Level 7

I’m having the same exact problem. I have a 5 series not even a year old. Reset button not working. After speaking with someone at Roku for a while they told me i had to contact TCL as it seemed to be a problem with tv not the Roku interface. On hold now with TCL to see if there is anything they can do. 

0 Kudos
pmc517
Level 7

Re: TV is frozen on Home screen

TCL?  Calling them is not a resolution!  It's obvious with so many people are stating  the same problem which means different cable companies.  Always blame the other guy when they can't figure it out!  Changing the cable is another solution that Roku advises, it's like they are on auto pilot  I have a Roku Premier in another room and it is not freezing at all.  Both TV's are the same brand, purchased on the same day.  The Roku unit I am having problems with is the basic.  You can try to pull all the plugs to the unit and let it set for awhile.  This will sometimes work, but the freezing comes back after a while.  The thing that's weird with mine is it only freezes when I attempt to open the YouTube app.  It doesn't happen with Prime, or Netflix, yet others are saying it happens with just Prime.  Through the Roku Community I also noticed that freezing has occurred with all different makes of Roku players.  Me thinks the smell is coming from Roku.  I wish Roku would recognize that this an Roku problem not communicating with the apps with all sorts of cable companies!  They should take the time  with resolving this issue rather than point blame at another source!

0 Kudos