Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tcm707
Level 8

TCL Roku P607 - HDR and DV dim/dark?

Hi All,

I picked up a TCL Roku P607 mid-2017, however I've only recently started playing around with the HDR functionality (internal apps for Netflix, Amazon Prime, and VUDU). Consistently I notice that when HDR or DV enables, the brightness drops significantly, to the point that the HDR seems pointless. If I lose significant brightness, how am I supposed to enjoy more colors? (This is not a minor drop-off in brightness, it is significant) I can clearly tell slightly better color coming from DV than HDR when I adjust the secret HDR settings and play the same content, which is to be expected, but neither HDR nor DV displays at nearly the same brightness as SDR (Test content: Thor Ragnarok from VUDU, 4k resolution, SDR vs. HDR vs. DV).

I've adjusted my settings, realizing changing to Gamma 2.0 on the expert settings helps some without dropping too much definition, and increased the brightness and adjusted other settings accordingly, but nothing resolves the issue.

Is there a thread elsewhere on this? (I couldn't identify one) or Has anyone else experienced this issue and/or found a resolve? The HDR is essentially pointless to me at this time if it drops the brightness of the screen so significantly.
4 Replies
blade_005
Level 11

Re: TCL Roku P607 - HDR and DV dim/dark?

"tcm707" wrote:
Hi All,

I picked up a TCL Roku P607 mid-2017, however I've only recently started playing around with the HDR functionality (internal apps for Netflix, Amazon Prime, and VUDU). Consistently I notice that when HDR or DV enables, the brightness drops significantly, to the point that the HDR seems pointless. If I lose significant brightness, how am I supposed to enjoy more colors? (This is not a minor drop-off in brightness, it is significant) I can clearly tell slightly better color coming from DV than HDR when I adjust the secret HDR settings and play the same content, which is to be expected, but neither HDR nor DV displays at nearly the same brightness as SDR (Test content: Thor Ragnarok from VUDU, 4k resolution, SDR vs. HDR vs. DV).

I've adjusted my settings, realizing changing to Gamma 2.0 on the expert settings helps some without dropping too much definition, and increased the brightness and adjusted other settings accordingly, but nothing resolves the issue.

Is there a thread elsewhere on this? (I couldn't identify one) or Has anyone else experienced this issue and/or found a resolve? The HDR is essentially pointless to me at this time if it drops the brightness of the screen so significantly.

I have the same set (P605 Model) and find HDR / DV content from internal apps work well, but there are always exceptions that have more to do with how the content is mastered than the TCL set.

I have moved Gamma from default of 2.2. to 2.0 as well for HDR and DV content. I find that for HDR content (YouTube, Prime Video) that the HDR DARK with WARM COLOR temp is best to my eyes. If I need more brightness I adjust the TV Brightness from NORMAL to BRIGHT or BRIGHTER, depending on the content. For DV content (Netflix) I use the BRIGHT DV setting with WARM COLOR temp and usually have my TV Brightness at BRIGHT or BRIGHTER. Are there still some scenes in some content that are way too dark? Sure, but overall if the content is mastered well (i.e. Altered Carbon, Stranger Things - Season 2), I find the HDR / DV quality is a definite bump up in contrast and detail from SDR or 4K only content. Another setting to consider is the LOCAL CONTRAST (FALD) setting under ADVANCED PICTURE SETTINGS. Normally have mine set to HIGH so that you get the deepest blacks, but you can adjust it to MEDIUM, LOW or OFF. There were a few scenes in LOST IN SPACE on Netflix that were extremely dark that were lightened up if you adjusted LOCAL CONTRAST from HIGH down to a lower setting or OFF. But, the trade off there is that some of your dark scenes will have a greyish/black color rather than deep black. HDR and DV is about dynamic range and contrast detail, not brighter colors.

You may have already viewed these, but below is an updated link to the latest RTings suggestions for settings on the P605/P607 and a link to the AVS Forum for P605/P607 owners.  You may want to post your comments above on there and see what other users may have for suggestions.

TCL P Series TV Picture Settings - Rtings.com

TCL P607 LED TV Calibration Settings

*Official* 2017 TCL P-Series 4K Roku TV HDR/DV Owners Thread
TCL-TV Roku 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 Soundbar
TCL-TV Roku 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL-TV Roku 32S301 (720p)
tcm707
Level 8

Re - blade005
Thank you for the suggestions. I have toyed around with some of the additional settings in that nature, and determined similarly that "Bright DV" with TV on "Brighter" and "Warm" temperature holds up pretty well. In figuring all this out, I believe I'm coming to the conclusion that with these HDR modes it is cutting out a lot of the ambient TV brightness/glow to achieve a higher level of contrast and deeper blacks and other darks. So in order to compensate you must up the TV's brightness settings significantly through a few different options. While a bit of a stretch, this is also crossing my mind: What's also interesting is where-as I believe the glow of the television used to be a standard functional source of light in that sector of the room, by switching to HDR the television is becoming less of a light source, so it's possible I should also be increasing ambient light for standard viewing (obviously not films I'd be watching on a movie night).
0 Kudos

I have similar problems with Xbox One. Not only is the picture quality terrible, the extra image processing causes the FPS to stutter constantly.

Unfortunately, Roku disabled the expert settings that allowed me to turn off the extra image processing and tweak the white balance/gamma/ect which is enabled by default on all Tv sets under 4K. If I had known they were going to do this, I wouldn't have paid several hundred dollars for what basically amounts to a Roku stick with a shoddy flatscreen monitor attached to it. Although, most flatscreen monitors these days actually have a full suite of options that Roku tvs lack.

If I were you, I'd get a refund and trade it in for a TV that doesn't have it's advanced settings tied to a phone app that they regularly disable on older products as they release newer products. You will be so much better off, seriously. A year or two from now your Roku TV is going to have it's expert settings disabled and you will be SOL, like me.
0 Kudos
MxChris
Level 7

Expert picture settings are changed via the Roku app for phone/tablet.
0 Kudos