Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surround sound on third party audio source

Does anyone know how to connect an A/V receiver that's not 4k compatible for my Roku Ultra? I bought two 4k HDMI cables: one to connect from Roku to A/V and the other from A/V to the TV. Is there a way to get audio through my surround sound 4k or not? Thanks in advance. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
atc98092
Level 17

Re: Surround sound on third party audio source

@PablotheBruce wrote:

Does anyone know how to connect an A/V receiver that's not 4k compatible for my Roku Ultra? I bought two 4k HDMI cables: one to connect from Roku to A/V and the other from A/V to the TV. Is there a way to get audio through my surround sound 4k or not? Thanks in advance. 

Some, but not all TVs will send multi-channel audio from externally connected devices (such as the way you have your Ultra connected) back out via ARC or optical. You might check your TV audio settings to see if it makes any mention of it.

If your TV does not support it, then no there's likely no way to connect them to get 5.1 audio. The one possibility might be an HDMI splitter, to take the HDMI from the Roku and send one connection for the TV (to get your 4K video) and send the other connection to the AVR. People have reported mixed results using HDMI splitters with Roku devices, and Roku doesn't officially support them. But it might be the only way.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Re: Surround sound on third party audio source

Thanks Dan. I'll take a look at it. I was able to get some sort of audio with my current connection. It seems like it's only coming through on the center channel though. Roku cable going to TV (ARC/HDMI 2) and then cable from TV (HDMI 3) to A/V. 

0 Kudos