Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ruthabeau57
Level 7

Roku start from beginning while recording

Using a Roku Stick, I went in to My Shows and started playing a show that was not done recording. I could only rewind 4-5 minutes. I couldn't figure out how to play the show from the beginning. Am I missing something or is this a limitation of Vue on Roku? I know PS4 doesn't have that issue.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Roku start from beginning while recording

@ruthabeau57 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? How are you recording the show? Are you experiencing this issue when not recording a show?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
djchristensen1
Level 8

@RokuDanny-R  I’m having the same problem with an Ethernet connected Ultra. I’m referring to a program which is set to record daily, and I  launch playback before recording has finished. I select it, and it begins playing at the current time. If I rewind to the beginning, it quickly advances to the live spot on the recording. It has done this before. Assuming it a hardware problem, I replaced it 3 weeks ago, now the problem is back. My old Ultra did not exhibit this problem for a couple years. 

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 14

As far as I know (I could be wrong!) there is no recording feature built into a Roku. So I think you are either using some streaming service that has a "cloud DVR" feature, or you are using your Roku as a front end to something like a Tablo?  More information would help.

djchristensen1
Level 8

Thanks for your reply Strega. I’ll try to give you a little background. I have 3 Roku devices plus a Roku TV. The problem is with an Ethernet connected Ultra in my media room. I am recording a program from HULU when I encounter the problem. Recording begins at 6AM daily, but when I get up at 6:45, I can’t RW, FF or skip commercials. When the program concludes recording, all functions normal. About a month ago, I conducted a test with one on my Roku Premiere devices. It worked flawlessly for 3 days and assuming it was a hardware problem, I bought a new Ultra. A month later the problem has returned. I would also suspect HULU cloud DVR, except that my other devices function normally, as does the HULU app on my phone. I hope this helps and I’m very appreciative of your assistance.

0 Kudos
stevem2
Level 7

I purchased my first Roku Ultra (checked for firmware upgrades) and signed up to Hulu + Live (no ads) with Enhanced DVR around Nov 11.  I have experienced this exact problem since my first viewing.  Since it's a new system, I was thinking that this was normal and was getting very frustrated with Hulu having a disastrous offering.  Now, I find this may be a Roku error.

Can anyone definitively state whether this is a normal Hulu operation or Roku equipment problem?  I need to rid myself of one of these before all my hair is pulled out. 

0 Kudos
Kisters
Level 8

Here is what I think is happening - I experience this too. Notice that while the program is recoding you will see the “live” icon. The “rec” does not appear until the recording is complete. So it is my assumption that when you select the program from the “manage DVR” Hulu takes you to the live program rather than what you already been recorded. Undesirable to say the least. 

Kisters
Level 8

Here are my observations - while recording in Hulu the ‘Live” icon displays therefore when you select the program from Manage DVR you are taken to live tv. Once the recording is complete the program will have the “REC” icon. It is unclear how long it takes for the recording to be considered complete.   I’m currently waiting for a program that should have finished at 2 and I’m is still taken to live tv at 2:16. 

undesirable to say the least. 

Kisters
Level 8

I believe this is a Hulu issue - after I closed Hulu and then restarted I was able to watch the recording. 

0 Kudos
Tikis
Level 7

I use my Roku TV and have my morning news show in my library. I am in the Central time zone. When I get up at 7 and go to my library to start my show, I get "Join Live" or "Resume from Last Watch." Mind you, I have not started watching it at all because what was last watched was on a different channel. So, how does Roku decide what is playing when you start television, because when I choose "Resume from Last Watch," it takes me to the point of the show as if I had chosen live, and the only way I can see that it would do that is if that show is actually playing when I turn on the TV. 

0 Kudos