Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
njl23
Level 7

Roku resets after streaming a few hours

Hello,

i have an issue with my Roku player.  it seems that while i am streaming Sling TV for a few hours it will have to reset itself and go back to the Roku home page.  This is inconvenient espically if i am watching a movie on Sling TV.   So far i have only seen this happen while streaming Sling, because that is all i really use the Roku streaming box for.  i dont have Hulu live so not sure if it does it there also.  

Any advice?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Roku resets after streaming a few hours

"njl23" wrote:
Hello,

i have an issue with my Roku player.  it seems that while i am streaming Sling TV for a few hours it will have to reset itself and go back to the Roku home page.  This is inconvenient espically if i am watching a movie on Sling TV.   So far i have only seen this happen while streaming Sling, because that is all i really use the Roku streaming box for.  i dont have Hulu live so not sure if it does it there also.  

Any advice?

You use the term “reset” which can mean different things. So let’s make sure we understand what you’re saying?.

Does the app simply stop streaming and the home screen appear, much like hitting the shine button on the remote? If so, avoid the term “reset” for now

Does the device reboot, showing the boot up “Roku” screen before going to the Home menu? If so, while reset is a more valid term, let’s say “reboot” for clarity.

Does the device require you to set everything up from scratch? If so, let’s say “factory reset” for clarity.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
njl23
Level 7

It would be your first example. It's stops streaming and goes back to the Roku home page. Just as if I was hitting the 'home' button on my remote. It happens on all of my streaming sticks (I have 3, one in each room with a tv)
0 Kudos
basketbuild
Level 7

This can happen with a weak WiFi signal, or if it momentarily appears to not be connected to the wireless router. If you can, move the Roku closer to your wireless router. Or, move your wireless router closer to the Roku. You can also try increasing the transmit power in your router, or choosing a channel that's less "crowded" with other signals in the area of your home.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"njl23" wrote:
It would be your first example. It's stops streaming and goes back to the Roku home page. Just as if I was hitting the 'home' button on my remote. It happens on all of my streaming sticks (I have 3, one in each room with a tv)

If I now understand things, your situation is that after streaming for several hours in the Sling TV app, the Roku exits the app, returning to the Home screen.

If my understanding is correct, that would be an intentional design, not a flaw. It may not be desired behavior, but it would be how it's designed to work.

Keep in mind that Roku, Apple TV, Fire TV, and all other streaming devices will attempt to cater to the most common usage scenarios. Most people won't leave an app running (streaming) for a very long period of time. This is actually a feature that helpful for many with data caps. If people fall asleep streaming, or otherwise leave unattended streaming, they can approach or exceed data caps, which many ISPs still have.

It's how it works. Oh, and other apps work the same way, though not all with the same timeout.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
ShannonHH
Level 7

Is there any way to customize the length of this timeout?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

@ShannonHH wrote:

Is there any way to customize the length of this timeout?

Nope. Hard coded into the OS. 

Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

I have the same problem with both of my Express+ players.  Never happened in the past, but it started a couple weeks ago.  

I can start watching any app and, within 30 minutes or so, it will suddenly revert to the home screen.

Both of the players are on wi-fi, but the signal is usually strong. Is there any other issue that can cause this to happen?

0 Kudos