Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MozartMan
Level 8

Roku Ultra remote doesn't play DD audio in headphones

Hi all,

Yesterday I was playing MKV video file from USB flash drive on my 2018 Roku Ultra device. Everything was fine when I used sound bar that is connected to TV with HDMI/ARC. Then my family went to sleep, so I took JBL headphones that came with Roku, plugged them into remote and I didn't get any sound. When I watch Netflix in headphones I have audio.

Is it limitation of remote that it cannot play Dolby Digital sound from the video file on USB flash drive?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku Ultra remote doesn't play DD audio in headphones

@MozartMan 

Thanks for the note. To confirm, were you using the Roku Media Player channel to play these files? Did you try rebooting your Ultra and playing the file(s) again to see if this clears up the issue? 
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
MozartMan
Level 8

"RokuTannerDB" wrote:
@MozartMan 

Thanks for the note. To confirm, were you using the Roku Media Player channel to play these files? Did you try rebooting your Ultra and playing the file(s) again to see if this clears up the issue? 

Yes, I was using Roku Media Player channel (app) to play MKV file from USB flash drive. I also tried to re-package MKV into M2TS file, but it was the same result - no audio.
I will reboot Roku and test again when I get home.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the update. 

Please keep me posted. If you're still running into the issue, please send me a PM with more specific details including your player's serial number from Settings>System>About and I'll follow up with you directly to continue looking into this. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
MozartMan
Level 8

"RokuTannerDB" wrote:
Thanks for the update. 

Please keep me posted. If you're still running into the issue, please send me a PM with more specific details including your player's serial number from Settings>System>About and I'll follow up with you directly to continue looking into this. 

Thanks,
Tanner

I rebooted my Roku Ultra and tried to play files again. NO DD (AC3) sound when listening in headphones plugged into remote.
0 Kudos
RokuDale
Level 9

Presently, the only Roku STB that can decode DD for headphones is the 4640 Ultra.
@MozartMan I invite you to join the RMP beta group. Send a PM to me.
0 Kudos