Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Paper_jam
Level 7

Roku Ultra audio dropouts/distortion/sync

I've been using a Roku Ultra (recent 2018 model, 4660X, bought in Nov. 2018) for several months with no real problems. On Feb. 21, I began to experience audio dropouts and audio sync problems on Amazon Prime video, and generally poor performance on Netflix. I think these problems coincided with a recent software update.  Current software version is 9.0.0 build 4142-46. I've checked my internet connection/speed (good as ever) and my wireless signal strength/quality (also good). I've reset the unit a couple of times, and it would seem to help, but then the issue comes back after a while. Any tips?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Roku Ultra audio dropouts/distortion/sync

Thanks for letting us know what you're seeing. Could you please provide more details about your home setup:

- What make/model of TV is your Roku Ultra connected to?
- Does this occur on channels other than the one you mentioned? 
- Are you using an A/V receiver or soundbar with your TV/Roku player setup? If so, what is the make/model of that unit?
- In Settings>Audio>Audio mode, what setting do you have selected? Does the same issue occur if you change the setting to Stereo, etc.?
- During playback of content, if you hit the * key on your remote, do you have 'Audio leveling' enabled on your device? If so, and you disable this setting, do you still observe the issue? 

With more information, we'll be able to continue looking into your report. Please also PM me with your Roku account email address and player serial number from Settings>System>About. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
sterod
Level 7

Same, my ultra upgraded to 4142 and it's gone to sh*t
Was working fine and now constant audio and video dropouts. I am so sick and tired of upgrades breaking the product. Mad beyond words right now as there is no way to f'ng downgrade. Try changing the HDR subsampling to 4:2:2 if you are using 4K, it helped for me
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

@sterod 

Sorry to hear about the experience! Please see my comments above and send me a PM with your details. I'd be happy to follow up directly and see what else we can do to help. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
demechman
Level 7

Same issue for me, removing power from the Roku and plugging it back in fixes it for awhile. I seem to notice it when switching between youtube, plex and netflix. There may have been a recent update that changed the audio mode but its frustrating my old roku had no problems at all and this new "premiere plus" is essentially a dud. 
0 Kudos
kenbour
Level 7

I am having the same problem on a wired connection (Gigabit Ethernet): Roku Ultra (latest upgrade), LG OLED 55" 4K UHD, and Enclave Audio system. The only action that helps is to pause the video for a few secs, but the audio dropouts and syncing problems return quickly - very annoying. Volume mode is OFF and all other settings are DEFAULT.
0 Kudos
kenbour
Level 7

Based on another user recommendation, I switched the HDR subsampling rate back to its default value of 4.2.0 and the audio dropouts and sync problems seem to have been resolved.
0 Kudos