Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Ultra, LG OLED, Apple TV+, and Auto-adjust display refresh rate

I just added the Apple TV+ to my Roku Ultra (4640x).  When I tried to watch a show in 4K HDR, the screen would go blank and indicate that there was no input signal.  The audio worked.  After pressing Home on the remote, the display still didn't change.  I had to power cycle the TV to see the home screen again.  The TV is recent purchase LG C9 OLED.

The Roku is set to auto-detect my TV and it correctly sets it as a 4K 60Hz display.  I had the Auto-adjust display refresh rate set to disabled and the HDR subsampling to 4:2:0.

Both the Roku and my UHD 4k player go to my preamp-processor and from there to the TV.  I have no issues playing 4K UHD discs or Netflix shows from the player.

I changed the Roku to enable Auto-adjust display refresh rate and then 4K HDR shows display correctly on my TV.  I can also play HD and 4K shows from Netflix and Prime.  The problem is that around 50% of the time when I stop watching and press Home on the Roku remote, the TV is blank except for the message indicating there is no signal.  Again power cycling the TV clears it up.

The Roku is up to date with 9.2.0 and the TV has the latest firmware.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku Ultra, LG OLED, Apple TV+, and Auto-adjust display refresh rate

An additional update:  my daughter likes to watch America's Funniest Home Videos (AFV) on the ABC app on the Roku.  This, of course, is almost the opposite of 4K HDR.  

Last night, we successfully watched a 4K HDR show on the Apple TV+ app...no issues.  Then we tried AFV on the ABC app.  It mostly worked, but a few times the screen went dark and/or showed the HDCP error.

I did power cycle the Roku, but got the same results when watching AFV.

I've read the other threads on the HDCP errors, so I guess I'll join others in hoping that Roku will release a firmware update that will address this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Roku is beginning to roll out version 9.3, and from what I've read it appears to address the HDCP error issue. It least it was mentioned in the release notes. I personally never had an HDCP error issue, but I've never been satisfied with the refresh rate matching. When I watch media streamed from my local server, playback has a little stutter to the video. With rate matching disabled, it's smooth. So I just leave it off. rate matching works fine on my Shield, and of course it also does resolution matching. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks for the info.  I didn't see that mentioned in the release notes when I looked, but I didn't look too closely, so I'll assume you're correct.

I'll wait for 9.3 to get pushed to mine and re-test.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Ultra 4640X 9.30 build 4118-29 LG 0LED C7

My problem may be related.  I have been streaming HD and 4K on Netflix and Prime without a problem.  But my first attempt to stream a movie on Apple TV (Little Women in 4K) failed.  I was renting the movie, my id and password were accepted, I could navigate the Apple interface where the Library showed that the movie was paid for and there was an icon labeled "Little Women continue".  But when I click on that icon, the screen spins, goes blank and then the LG no-signal screen appears.  Shortly, the Roku screen come back ready for me to re-enter Apple TV.  Apparently, Roku has crashed.

If I choose an Apple TV HD movie, it works.  What's going on?

Thanks for any ideas,

bbelow 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Hi,

Have you set your Roku to enable Auto-adjust display refresh rate?  I think it is under the Advanced settings.

When I enabled that, I was able to watch a 4K Apple+ TV show.  I sometimes get other issues (HDCP errors or no video signal showing on my TV) after watching the 4K Apple+ show or watching video sources.

Since you already have 9.3.0, it will be interesting to see if that setting works for you and doesn't give other issues.

Let us know!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks, that worked.  After several tries, it gives me a "video not available, retry" message but after hitting retry, I'm into the movie.  So far, no errors mentioning HDCP.

Thanks, again,

Bill Below

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

That's good.

I've heard that the HDCP error events might be addressed in the 9.3.0 firmware.

I'm still waiting for that version to get pushed to mine.

-tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

Reports are that 9.3 has begun public release. So hopefully you'll see it soon.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I finally got 9.3.0 pushed to my Roku Ultra.  I did a quick test last night.

LG OLED was set to enable Auto-adjust display refresh.  I was able to watch part of a 4K show through the Apple TV+ app and I was able to watch 10 minutes of America's Funniest Videos on the ABC app.  Both seemed to work fine.

There are definitely some black screens for a moment or two during a refresh rate change, but I think that is expected.

So, first pass seems to be better....

0 Kudos