Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Roku Ultra Changing Picture Settings to What Looks Like Dynamic Mode

Hello,

I am on my second Roku Ultra that randomly changes the picture/display settings on my TV to what looks like Dynamic display settings on the TV.  This is the second device to do this.  When I use one of the built in apps on the TV it doesn't display this way.  I have searched and can't seem to find a reason or solution to this.  Let me know if anyone has run into this problem.  Thanks.

TV is a Samsung 8000 Series from like 4 years ago.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Roku Ultra Changing Picture Settings to What Looks Like Dynamic Mode

I have two Ultra players, and have used both on a UHD/HDR set, although one is now attached to a 720 set. I've never seen such behavior, and honestly can't think of any way for an external device to do so. 

However, if you have a UHD TV, and are watching HDR content, that will change the settings of the TV. But that's not the Roku doing it, the TV is changing its settings based on the video content. Properly adjusted and displayed HDR content could look like the set is in Dynamic mode, but that's one of the things you get with HDR, brighter colors and deeper blacks (usually). So very possibly there's nothing wrong. You set's internal apps might not be triggering the same changes, as it's possible they aren't HDR compatible, or you haven't watched something in HDR with them. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

The strange this is when I check the actual picture settings they haven't been adjusted and everything is set where they should be.  It just displays incorrectly.  I thought it was the TV, but if it doesn't do it outside of the Roku I feel like it has to be the Roku although not completely sure.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

I just can't think of anything that a Roku player could intentionally do to the image. That doesn't mean there can't be a defect in the video processing chip, but since you said you're tried more than one that doesn't seem likely. Both of my UHD sets are Samsung, the JU7100 and NU7100. I have/had an Ultra on both, and watching both SD, HD and UHD/HDR content I can't say I've seen such behavior. Not questioning that you are observing something. I just can't come up with an explanation. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos