Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marktpalmer
Level 7

Re: Roku TV Audio Dropouts

Does anyone have a real solution yet?!!

I've been having this problem for quite a while. TV sound is intermittently dropping out and it's happening a lot lately - to the point that it's hard to watch. Unplugging works temporarily but it will come back eventually and usually the same day. I've tried several different "fixes". I have no receiver hooked up to my TCL Roku TV - this problem happens over TV antenna, apps like Netflix and Hulu, and even private audio on headphones. This makes me think it's an issue with the soundboard or something. 

I've changed the audio settings to auto, stereo and dolby with no luck. 

I'm at the point where I'm thinking of just buying a new TV - definitely won't be a TCL Roku TV though. Seeing others have the problem gives me hope it's a software issue and hopefully an update will come out that fixes this. Of course I'm past my 1yr warranty so I'm getting no help from TCL. 

Very frustrated and hoping someone can figure this out. 
0 Kudos
skiski5
Level 7

Having this issue on my parents Roku 55inch TCL TV. Its been happening for the past couple of weeks. Any app (Plex, FOX Sports, PBS Kids) will have the audio cut out for half a second and it happens every 10 seconds or so. 

I've read up on a lot of the forums. Tried changing the audio settings, rebooting the device, fully unplugging it, changing from wired to wireless, resetting the network settings, etc. Rebooting will fix it temporarily. I thought switching to wired fixed it, but then the issue came back a day later. 

The TV is already over a year old so the warranty is expired. Right now I guess I am just waiting on Roku to push another update to fix it (hopefully) 
0 Kudos
tuyesaka
Level 7

I have just begun experiencing the audio drops with my TCL 55" Roku TV. I also have issues when I power off the TV I lose the WiFi connection the next time I power the TV on.  This has all occurred since the system was updated.  I attached a FireTV device to it and everything works fine.  Looks like the TV is just that, a TV and I'll use my Amazon fire TV device instead of the built in Roku.
0 Kudos
aludden
Level 7

I am having the same problem with TCL Roku 55US57. If anyone finds a solution, please come back here and post. Thanks!
0 Kudos

Me too-ing this issue. 55" TCL (not sure of model), happens on any Roku app, no fancy audio connections. Tried wired vs wireless network. Other HDMI inputs work fine (Nintendo Switch, Chromecast, Cable Box). 

I just read on a reddit thread that disabling menu selection sound solved this for someone. I have noticed it even happening on the menu screen, so I'll try that when I get home and report back.
0 Kudos

I'm a little late with my promised reply, but disabling the menu sounds seems to have fixed the audio dropouts.

Settings, Audio, Menu volume, Off
0 Kudos
flyrz
Level 7

Well I've finally found other Roku users with the same audio drop out problems. Just like everyone else. I have a 55" Roku tv that started dropping out the audio when the update came along around July. I've tried ALL the suggestion here and I'm satisfied that it's a problem with roku's update and NOT my internet connection. Its getting so bad I can't watch any type of streaming channel. Only regular broadcast channels through my cable box come through properly. My question is, has anyone contacted Roku about and received a reply or answer? I would think with as many people reporting this problem they will have to address this. I'll report here if I hear back from Roku or come across a fix that works for this problem. Thanx for listening.....Sean
0 Kudos
sgtstadanko
Level 7

Exact same situation here. Only fix is to ppwer cycle tv from the menu. It will go away but always comes back same day or sooner. Only happens on the builtin roku apps and tv and all other hdmi devices (xbox, ps4, shield) work fine with no audio issues.
0 Kudos
Hawaiian1961
Level 7

I have my 50" TCL roku tv connected to an Onkyo receiver and I have found that the sound is sensitive to AC power.  Whenever I run my treadmill the sound cuts off.  When I stop the treadmill the sound comes back on.  
0 Kudos
gregrobbins
Level 7

"Hawaiian1961" wrote:
I have my 50" TCL roku tv connected to an Onkyo receiver and I have found that the sound is sensitive to AC power.  Whenever I run my treadmill the sound cuts off.  When I stop the treadmill the sound comes back on.  

The periodic audio dropouts are not like that. They last a fraction of a second, and occur once or more per minute.
0 Kudos