Playback Issues - Audio/Video & Power

Help with audio & video playback issues, TV display type recognition & compatibility, HDCP messages, troubleshooting playback errors, advertisements, and resolving power issues.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gaugust45
Level 7

Roku Express+ Screen Only Displaying 1/4 of TV Screen

I am having issues with my Roku Express+ (390 series) player. I purchased the Roku Express+ for a small 13 inch Kitchen TV. The player was working well for a few months, but now the display that shows the channel guide only displays on one quarter of the screen, making it impossible to read the guide. Also after watching live and recorded TV for about 30 minutes the player automatically returns to the main menu. The player is still under warranty. I don't see any selections in the software that would resolve these issues. Should I return the player for a new one? Please advise. Thank you.

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Gallydif
Level 7

Videos only showing on top left of screen

[merged thread]

Roku Express shows on full screen until I play a movie, show, etc from any app. Oncr video starts it will only show on the top left corner of my screen and the rest of the screen will be black. Just got this Roku today. Please help.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

Re: Videos only showing on top left of screen

Please give specifics about which channel(s). Just saying "all apps" doesn't give us anything to work with. Also, what make/model TV is it connected to?

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Gallydif
Level 7

Re: Videos only showing on top left of screen

This has happened on all 3 apps I’ve tried which are Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu.

My tv is an LG 50pm9700
0 Kudos

All apps display 1/4 screen size

Everything worked fine out of the box but the next morning everything (Netflix, Youtube etc) showed video in a small box in the top left corner of the screen. All menus, apps etc. work fine and show full screen. Resetting to factory defaults fixes the problem, but it always spontaneously returns. 

[post merged with already existing thread]

0 Kudos
jssan11
Level 7

Re: All apps display 1/4 screen size

I'm having this issue too 

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: All apps display 1/4 screen size

@jasonclevandosk @jssan11  What is the specific brand and model of TV that your Roku device is connected to?

Before factory resetting your device to try and resolve the issue, simply try unplugging it from the TV's HDMI port and disconnect it from power. Then, turn the TV off and back on. Plug your Roku device back into power, and connect it to the TV's HDMI port once more. Does that help resolve the issue temporarily? 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
Beppo
Level 7

Re: Roku Express+ (3910 series) Malfunctioning

Re: Roku Express+ model 3931RW, Software version 9.11 build 4198-AE.

I have this same issue, but it manifests for me like this: when I first turn my Roku Express+ on, the Roku menu, and the app menus appear correctly sized. When I select a program to watch, it appears in the top left quadrant of the screen. I have to go to Settings, then System Restart. Once the Express+ has restarted itself, the programs will display on the whole screen as they should.
I just bought the Roku Express+ today. I have never seen this issue on any of the many Rokus I've owned. I suspect it's a software problem, and it would be so great if it could be resolved! D9220658-4E7B-4761-BA93-2C8ACAED14B3.jpeg

0 Kudos
tegreen
Level 7

Re: Display problem with Roku Express+

so what is the long term fix for this. I'm having the same display problem with my Roku express. I switched back to directv to check and it is proper full screen size. I have done nothing to change this. I have the same roku express in my bedroom and it is full size screen like it's supposed to be. 

tim

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Display problem with Roku Express+

@tegreen 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're running into. Could you please provide the specific make and model of TV that your devices are connected to? We'd like to help look into this a bit further, and this information would be very helpful. 

Thanks,

Tanner

Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos